Chapter Four

Jared pulled into a parking spot near the church, and looked over at Olivia, who looked even more nervous than she did when they were leaving her house.

"Penny for your thoughts?" He asked.

She held out her hand. He placed a penny in it.

Olivia had a jar of pennies in her room, all the pennies Jared had given her in exchange of her thoughts. He knew he didn't need to, she always told him everything anyway, and the tradition had slowly died down, but for some reason, he said it, and like reflex, out came her hand. It made him smile. Some things never change after all.

"I don't want to face Mike." She said.

"You seemed fine facing him when we were leaving, what changed now?" He asked.

"Jared, I don't want people looking at me as the girl who has cancer and got dumped by someone because of it."

"And since when did what other people thought matter to you?"

"Since I realised that these are the things they will think at my funeral too." She said.

He kept his hand on hers and said, "I promise you, no one will think like that, not now, not at your funeral. Okay?"

She looked into his eyes, her way of finding reassurance. She nodded. He smiled and said, "let's go in, and find Ash, and get this party over with."

______________________________

The wedding was beautiful. The vows were emotional, and everyone was feeling great.

Jared felt bored. Olivia wished she had died sooner. Ashleigh felt skateboarding would be cooler.

Jared had an encounter with his mom, it was rather awkward. He was doing his best to be nice to her for Olivia's sake, who had made him promise to behave. Although Olivia had gone with Drew to take photos, Ashleigh had been by his side and so he stayed calm.

"Jared, Sweetie how are you?"
"I'm fine."
"You look so handsome, how much you've grown!"
"Thanks. I have to go find Olivia, excuse me."

And that was it. It was the end of the reception and people had started to leave. Olivia too had an encounter with Micheal and Kate, Kate did all the talking and it was rather ugly.

"I see you're still alive Olivia."
"I think people are more surprised that you're wearing clothes that actually cover you."
"I thought it was Jareds mom who ran away, yet you're the one who wasn't thought to behave huh?"
"Atleast my parents didn't have to deal drugs to provide for me. Let's not go there shall we?"

And that was it, for thankfully Drew intervened and asked Kate to leave. Micheal silently followed her.

And so they sat, waiting for Drew to be finished with stuff so he could leave with them.

"Your mom complimented me and then said my children would be lucky to get my looks." Olivia said.

"She doesn't know." Was all Jared said.

"It's good she doesn't. Imagine all the Molly coddling I'd have to deal with otherwise, Sheesh" she said and Ashleigh snorted.

"Hey guys, sorry I got held up. Y'all ready to leave?" Drew asked, walking upto the group.

"We are, Jake dissappeared though " Ashleigh said.

"Oh yeah, he went somewhere with my cousin." Drew said and shrugged.

"Let's leave then" Jared said and got up.

"But where are we going?" Olivia asked.

"You'll see."

___________________________

Jared parked in a shady place in an alley beside a restaurant, Olivia looked extremely confused

"What are we doing?" She asked.

"Do you not trust me? That's the third time you asked!" He said and got out of the car. Ashleigh and Drew got out too.

"I do trust you." Olivia said and walked towards him.

"Follow me, don't make much noise." He said and walked towards a staircase that went all the way up to the roof of the building.

As soon as they reached the top, Olivia saw that there were buckets filled with water balloons.

She immediately grinned widely.

"We promised we'd help with your bucket list didn't we? So here's one that wouldn't spoil any of our fancy clothes."

"Throwing water balloons at people from a rooftop." Ash completed.

"But what if we fall in trouble?" She asked.

"I already spoke to the owner of the restaurant, he told it's cool as long as we don't hit his customers."

"Take it as an extra challenge" Drew said and walked to the bucket, picked up a balloon and walked to the ledge. He threw a balloon and immediately ducked

Soon all four were throwing balloons, Ducking and laughing at people's shouts. Olivia had a wide smile, she was happy at that moment and nothing else mattered to her.

And seeing her smile, the rest felt content too. Jared was glad she was happy, Ashleigh felt accomplished and Drew felt bitter sweet.

If only they could freeze time.