Chapter 37 ~ Goodbyes

Chapter 37

Packing that cheap, worn backpack was nostalgic. When I was a kid, it'd been a constant, to go to a new foster home, to run away, or when they'd ship me off to the group home. After a while, I just stopped unpacking. It was easier, safer.

The thing about foster care that most people didn't know about was when you leave, or when another kid leaves, the rest turn into scavengers. Nothing is safe, and you better believe more than one kid had been beat down for something small. Basic. A jacket. A t-shirt.

The memory of myself decking a girl for trying to steal my pencil flashed to the forefront of my mind.

People didn't know how it felt to be packing yet another bag, leaving yet another place, knowing how stupid I'd been to allow myself to get attached. I knew better. More than anyone. Yet... here I was.

I didn't even let my mind touch on the fact that I was leaving with Bard. My disillusioned brain wouldn't admit that our destination was secluded, alone, far away, and dangerously private.

I shook my head and shoved the last bit of my clothes haphazardly into the pack.

"All set?" Bard appeared in the doorway, then moved to take the bag from me.

With memories of another life so fresh, I instinctively jerked it away from him.

He took a step back, lifted his hands, and studied me. "I'm not going to steal it."

I cleared my throat. "Sorry." I handed over. "Some habits just don't die."

Gaze never wavering, he murmured, "They will," then moved past me and out the back door.

I took a deep breath. We hadn't even left yet, and my nerves were like jumping beans inside my stomach. "I'm gonna go say bye to everyone!" I called, already headed in the opposite direction.

The first person I searched out was Mr. Frankfire. I found him sitting in his new usual spot, leaned back in a chair by the backdoor of the shop. "Hey, old man."

He looked up and shot me a toothy grin. "Hey, girl. You ready to work?"

I closed the remaining distance between us. "I'm leaving actually. Bard is taking me into the mountains."

His eyebrows shot upwards. "Why the hell would you possibly want to..." His voice trailed off, and a crooked smirk tilted his lips. "Ahh, I see."

"What?" I furrowed my brow at him. "What do you see?"

"You're going bear hunting," he said, as if it were the most obvious answer in the world.

I snorted. "Why the hell would I go bear hunting?"

"Quiet, girl! Here comes one now!" He pointed towards the yard.

I turned to find Bard walking towards us. When I turned back to Mr. Frankfire, he was silently laughing at me. "Shut up, old man."

His response was one of those old person laughs that sounded as if dust would puff out of his throat. I rolled my eyes and pushed past him into the shop.

Scarlet was the first to approach me. "All packed?"

I eyed her. "Yes..."