Chapter 2

Chapter 2:

Acacia’s POV

I wrapped my coat around me as I shivered on the cold London streets. God, it was so cold. Waiting for my taxi seemed to take years. No, make that centuries.

But I didn’t care.

Harry Styles asked for my number.

The actual Harry Styles asked to hang out with me. With me. Acacia.

I resisted the urge to scream with happiness. Did he like me? Did he think I was pretty? Would he...date me?

I stopped myself. No, I was being ridiculous. He would be taking pity on me because I stupidly talked about my Dad, and I made myself sound like I was a sob story. Great.

My hand gripped my phone tightly. He said he was going to text me tonight; at least that’s what he said when we were on stage. I beamed when I recounted what had happened. The surrealness of the situation made me almost want to pinch myself to wake up, but then again, I would never want to wake up from this. Greeted by a harsh slap of reality was not the best good morning.

I was still pondering about Harry when the taxi finally arrived, taking time to spray icy muddy water on me as it drove over a puddle.

"Thanks," I muttered sarcastically. I hoped it would come off - this was my only dress for special occasions; they're ridiculously expensive. Or at least unaffordable with my father's salary.

“Where you wanna go?” the driver said as I sat inside, as he proceeded to drive down the bumpy streets.

“The Hawthorn Motel please.” I requested, as he nodded in recognition.

“It’s a bit old and dusty there, innit?”

“I suppose.” He was right though, the motel was very old and quite run down. Not only was my father quite frugal; he didn’t have the best job either. Our expenses to go to London were paid for by the company. Maybe it's them who's the frugal ones, now I think about it.

Dad was an Executive Market Representative – in other words he sold crappy items for money. I never knew what he had to sell, it was something new every day whether it was bandaids, cars or DIY facials. He lived off a small income as a single father but I knew he was trying his hardest; he had never been to university and this was the best job he could find. I’m proud of him.

The driver and I small talked about the weather until we pulled up at the old motel. I thanked him and paid for the fare, unwillingly stepping out of the taxi into the icy cold that I had yet to become accustomed to.

I checked my watch. 5 PM?! It felt like it was midnight, the sky was black and I could barely see anything.