Scream-Full Mind

Sunlight broke in through the trees in ripples like water. It washed over us like mist, and we breathed it in deeply, appreciating the comfort, the warmth. The trees were like a protection, a safeguard keeping us away from the world, from what we had discovered. It ran through my head and pushed away every other thought.

The Cullens are vampires.

A sentence so simple, yet full of possible danger. Slowly the dots connected, and a map of red lines formed in my head. The puzzle pieces slowly found their way on the map, fitting perfectly. And the map no longer looked as blank, but suddenly full of interest. Yet somehow, a part of that map was still in the shadows, and we were left hanging, thinking of ways to bring them out to the light.

We were still sitting, under the rays of the sun, and the blooming leaves of the trees. Our hands were interlocked, bringing unspoken comfort to each other. We were both overwhelmed, Dorian and I, over what we had found and what it meant. We thought it to be less, yet here we are now, washing away under dawning realization. This is bigger. Bigger than what we expected, bigger than what any of us had expected. It was a deathly game of life, and we had just started playing.

"Sophie..." his accented voice said, under a deep layer of emotion. I looked up, eyes dazed and mouth shut pressed together. My hair fell over my eyes and the bright-sunlight hit the center of my eyes making my head drop the slightest. I looked at Dorian and saw him looking at me, staring me with a certain look in his eyes. One that I couldn't quite identify.

"There may be one way to confirm everything," he said, hesitation clouding his voice.

"We don't need anything to confirm our thoughts," I said quietly. His eyes snapped to mine, and I could see slight anger in the depth of those blue-grey irises. I've already kept enough valuable information from him. Vital evidence. And now, he doesn't fully trust me. I could see that. But I could not bring myself to regret waiting.

His expression silently asked the question instead of voicing it out. And I, with a sigh, looked down and spoke.

"We don't need confirmation because everything has already been told to us unknowingly." I looked at our entwined hands, and thought to myself with slight wonder, how perfectly they fit together.

"How?"

"The Cullens weren't at school today. The weather is sunny. Vampires don't go into the sun." each word held a weight of cold truth, of a finality. Each word was as heavy as a boulder coming out of my mouth.

I watched his pale and beautifully sculptured face, watched as realization washed over him like a tide.

"And not just today, but every time the weather is sunny the Cullens just disappear from town."

"So everything has been told to us discreetly without us even knowing. Are they even trying to keep it a secret?" he asked sarcastically and I let a small smile slip onto my face. I chuckled and let my face fall once again to our intertwined hands, my fingers gloved and hot under the leather of the glove, and his carved from ice, they were cold as ice also. But the iciness was a comfort; it was the only thing anchoring me down to reality at the moment.

"Dorian...what are we gonna do?" I asked, my voice trailing off. He looked at me wordlessly.

"I mean with us...and Bella and Charlie and anyone who associates themselves with the Cullens? They're all in danger of having their blood drained from them by the family of Vampires. Who knows what they are doing to my sister whenever she's over at their house? I mean there has to be a reason she's so pale, maybe their drinking her blood and either she's slowly dying or turning into one of them!" I didn't know which one was worst. My sister dying. Or my sister dying and then waking up as something else. I took in a struggled breath when two disturbing images appeared with the speed of lightning in my head.