| chapter two |

' she was surrounded by a kindness
which brought those of innocent towards her '

SILVERY FLAKES DRIFTED DOWN, glittering in the bright light of the harvest moon

SILVERY FLAKES DRIFTED DOWN, glittering in the bright light of the harvest moon. The blackbird swooped down to its nest. The sun was rising, and the thick blanket of snow was now visible. The brown walnut trees swayed in the cold winter wind. Icicles on the trees dropped with a smash. Like glass cracking and shattering. The weather was frosty, and the snow was glittering like white sequins laying all over the floor.

From where she sat, Sofia could see a chilled squirrel hopping from tree to tree, carefully trotting on branches. The ghostly wind broke the peaceful sound of silence. The snow was damp; every step felt like walking in mud.

It was dawn.

The horizon was candy red. The sun shone a dandelion yellow along with strokes of carrot orange. The snow now reflected the sky. Large flakes fell as if angels in heaven were having a pillow fight. Though the snow was beautiful, it was cold and sharp. Crisp, white, pristine, shining covering that transformed the landscape making it a magical land full of wonder and undiscovered mysteries.

Breath pale against the numbing air, Sofia blinked thoughtfully as the frost patiently kissed her face, captivated by the soft, dusty illusions of light that sat heavy on her eyelashes. She adored the snow, more so when it was falling.

"The Redcoats are coming. The redcoats are coming." Garret kept muttering under his breath as the snow finally stuck to the ground with footsteps echoing throughout the empty area. The blonde rolled her eyes, a soft smile on her lips. He'd be great for her sister. She was glad one of them found their mate. But who knew? Maybe she'll find hers.

Footsteps were heard as the Volturi walked across the snow-covered ground, stopping at least 15 feet away from them. Howls and growls filled the air as the wolves emerged from the woods and stood by the Cullen's and their friends.

"Aro, let us discuss things like we used to. In a civilised matter." Carlisle started as he walked to the front of the groups. As the wind raced past, five wonderful scents filled Sofia's nose, her eyes snapping up to look in the direction they came from. A look of confusion passed her face, eyebrows furrowed but once they locked with a breathtaking blonde female and an identical brown haired male.

'Twins.'

Her eyes then moved to a male with long brown hair to a man with platinum coloured blonde who held a scowl on his face. And lastly, her eyes landed on a guy with black haired.

"Hello." Picking up the tiny voice, a slow smile spread on Sofia's face as her eyes focused on a gorgeous butterfly with outer blue wings that went from dark to light.

"Hello." Using her powers, Sofia began to talk to the butterfly mentally, and after hearing her voice, a look of almost shock covered its features.

"You can hear me?"

"Yes." Her eyes brightened once the butterfly landed on her extended cold finger.

"You're beautiful and nice."

"Thank you. You're gorgeous, and I love your wings." A real genuine smile spread across her full pink lips.

"Thanks. Would you like to meet the others?" Her eyes lit up, excitement filling her body as she nodded. Sofia glanced towards her sister, Kate, only to see her shaking her head. A small pout tugged at her lips before she looked back at the butterfly.

"It seems that I cannot."

"Why not?"

"I'm in the middle of a so-called battle."

"Battle?" She turned around to look and saw the Volturi. "With them?"

"Yes."

"Why? What did you do wrong?"

"Honey." Sofia let out a soft sigh. "Do you know what I am?" It shook his head. "I'm a hybrid."

"So?" A smile spread across her face. It seemed this one didn't care.

"And I'm in a war against vampires." She turned around to look back at the Volturi.

"They look scary."

"Just because they look scary doesn't mean they are. You shouldn't judge people. Get to know them and then say they're mean if they truly are." She looked as if she was smiling at me.

"You truly are amazing." A blush coated her cheeks, her heartbeat picking up a tiny bit before she resumed her relaxed stance.

"Thank you."