Day of Silence

This year, the Day of Silence is on April 20th.

What is the Day of Silence? It's best summed up by GLSEN (Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network) on the official website (www.dayofsilence.org).

"The National Day of Silence is a day of action in which students across the country vow to take a form of silence to call attention to the silencing effect of anti-LGBT bullying and harassment in schools."

A Bit of History (Some facts about the DoS):

1. The first Day of Silence was in 1996 at the University of Virginia.

2. Over 150 students participated.

3. Since then it has spread to be a nationwide, and even worldwide event.

What's It's purpose? 

If somebody where to ask you, "Are people in the LGBT community commonly bullied?" What would you say?

Yes. 

The purpose of the Day of Silence is to call attention to this bullying. It's to educate about the harassment, the name-calling, the tormenting; about how much it goes on, and the effects that it has on people's lives. One of the top reasons for a person being bullied, is their sexual orientation, or what people assume to be their orientation. Words like "Fag" and "homo" are used as insults, even towards people who aren't a part of the LGBT community.

The Day of Silence is to show those who are bullied that they're not alone. It brings together those of any orientation, identity, race even, to stand up for those who aren't able to stand up for themselves. It's to let those people know, who may not fully understand the severity of the problem of bullying, just how important it is to work against anti-LGBT harassment.

It's also meant to be a time to try and fix problems, to help find solutions. To work for a better environment, where your sexual orientation or gender identity don't mean that you'll get bullied.

Imagine:

Imagine yourself walking around with a card, a sign, with the following words written on it:

"Please understand my reasons for not speaking today. I am participating in the Day of Silence, a national youth movement bringing attention to the silence faced by lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people and their allies in schools. My deliberate silence echoes that silence, which is caused by name-calling, bullying and harassment. I believe that ending the silence is the first step toward fighting these injustices. Think about the voices you are not hearing today. What are you going to do to end the silence?"

What do you think would happen? Would your be respected? Tautned? Harassed? Would you even be acknowledged? Would you be able to understand the uncertainty that people face about being open about their sexual orientation or their identity? About being able to express themselves?

Would you make an impact, a difference? What would you be showing others? What would you being showing yourself? 

Would you question yourself? What's this going to do? Would you be afraid or doubtful? Would you be understanding? Would you be strong?

Would you try and help end the silence?

Participation:

There isn't a right or a wrong way to participate. Some people are silent the entire day, some for periods of time like during lunch breaks or before and after they go to school, between classes. Some teachers prefer that you participate in their classes, and be silent between them. If you're not silent the whole day you're not doing it wrong. You participate how you're able to, and it's the fact that you're showing your support is what really, really counts.

You guys all know me, Alex. I've participated in the Day of Silence since the 8th grade, when I really had my sexual orientation confirmed. It was important to me, personally. I may have never had much trouble being bullied because of my orientation, but I've had people I love suffer because of bullying. 

For me, personally, it's a tremndous thing. Watching people I would have never expected quit talking for a day in support of the LGBT community. I've been able to learn story that where heart-wrenching, mind-blowing, and beautiful.

It's taught me a lot about people. About not judging a book by it's cover. When you're there in a room full of people, all of you listening and telling stories because you're able to break the silence, and know that it's a safe place. When you look around and see faces that surprise you, it gets you thinking. When you hear, and watch people tell stories that you can't wrap your head around as being true. When all you can think is "That stuff only happens in books or movies or on the news maybe." When you watch big, burly, macho guys, the kind that are generally thought to be stereotypically unemotional, cry when talking about somebody they loved who's been hurt, affected, even died.

It makes you think about what's important. It makes you question yourself, your actions; have I done something to hurt others? Have I done enough to help? I have I been one of those people who has sat by and watched, or ignored as something terrible has happened to another?

It makes you wonder, what have I done to end the silence?

*

*

*

*

*

*

A lot of information gathered from www.dayofsilence.org. Additionalinformation can be found there as well.