Chapter 14

Preparing for the Masquerade was tiring. I planned everything out from the silverware to the decor. I decided on a night under the stars theme. There were lights hanging on wires. The center pieces of each table had purple daisies and other flowers.

I told everyone at breakfast that we were gonna have a masquerade.

Everyone was excited.

"But how are we going to know who you are if you're going to be wearing a mask?" Adrian asked.

I smiled.

"You won't. You'll have to find me I suppose," I said.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Marie helped me into my dress.

"Marie you've outdone yourself. This is beautiful," I sighed.

"I had some help from the other ladies miss," she said.

"Thank you," I said.

"You're welcome Miss," she said.

The bodice of the purple gown had diamonds sewn in. While the bottom was tulle.

The maids had been invited to the masquerade so that the other suitors had someone to dance with while I danced with someone else.

"Here's your mask," Marie said handing me a mask. It was beautiful and unique.

cred to fifty shades darker

My grey eyes stared back at me in the mirror. I looked gorgeous. My makeup was flawless. The dress was beautiful. And I looked amazing.

I was ready for the masquerade. I made an entrance that made heads turn. I walked down the grand stairs. The skirt of the dress moved with me. Someone approached me. A dark haired guy with green eyes. His mask was red like fire.

"May I have this dance?" He asked.

"Yes," I said.

He lead me to the dance floor and we danced. He held my waist while I had my hand on his shoulder. Our other hands clasped. We danced across the floor. I could feel multiple eyes on me.

"The moment I saw you I knew it had to be you," he said. His green eyes looked familiar.

"Garrett?" I asked. He nodded.

"Adeline," he breathed. "You look beautiful." I blushed.

We continued to dance. He dipped my head and leaned down to kiss my neck. I felt his warm lips on my neck. Then he pulled me back up.

"Thank you for this dance," he said. He walked away. 

I walked a at to the table full of sweets there was a chocolate fountain and chocolate pieces. I grabbed a chocolate filled with caramel. Mmm.

"Are you enjoying the chocolate?" A voice asked.

I covered my mouth and nodded.  I recognized the voice. He had warm chocolate eyes. It was Carter. He wore his guard uniform but a mask as well.

"Would you like to dance?" I asked him.

"I don't think that would be appropriate," he commented.

"Just one dance. It'll be quick," I said.

"Okay," he agreed. He held out his hand and I took it. We went to the dance floor. He held my waist and my hand and kept a large space between us. I took one step closer. And we danced.

He spun me around bringing my hand up above my head. He lifted me up in the air by the waist as we turned. Then he set me down. He was a great dancer. Then the song was over and we separated.

I approached a familiar pair of eyes. His blue sapphire eyes. He had an orange mask on. Aiden. He was a prince and he was an ideal candidate but I didn't have any connection to him. We had nothing in common.

We  danced across the floor. His hand on my waist felt strange.

"How are you Princess," he said with an accent.

"I'm good. How are you Aiden?" I asked.

"I'm very excited. I'm dancing with you," he said.

Soon the song came to a close an I went looking for Adrian. I found him surrounded by a group of girls.

I tapped on his shoulder.

"May I have this dance?" I asked.

"Yes," he said.

We walked to the dance floor.

"I thought I would never get to dance with you," he said.

"That's what I should be saying. You're quite popular," I said.

"But there's only one girl for me," he said.

I smiled.

"Let's dance on the balcony. There's too many people staring at us," he said.

"I'm the princess remember. People stare all the time," I said. But we went out the the balcony anyway.

We danced. Our hearts were in sync. He dipped my head and kissed me lightly. We continued to dance
in circles. I looked into his eyes.

"Adeline—" he was cut off by the sound of bullets. Then came the screams.