Chapter One

The train rocked in a soothing back and forth motion, lulling me as I sipped my apple martini. The bartender smiled and offered me another since my glass was draining at a rapid pace. I agreed and glanced behind me. Rich was sitting at a table talking to the cute blonde he'd been eyeing ever since we boarded the train.

She laughed at something he said and brushed her hand along his shoulder. Not that I cared. Little did she know, Rich was lacking in all the areas where it counted. He'd proven it last night in our sleeper car. I'd heard tales from friends in bad marriages about how torturous terrible sex could be. "That will never be me," I'd thought. But here I was, thirty-three, married five years to a man who'd been fucking his secretary so regularly that he had nothing left for his wife.

I took the fresh martini and sipped it.

Someone sat next to me, and a rich, masculine scent washed over me. I turned to find what could only have been a model sitting beside me. Dark hair, piercing eyes, a jaw hewn from granite, and a body created to fuel women's fantasies. I eyed my drink. Had I been roofied and was hallucinating?

"Hi." He smiled, dimples appearing on his smooth cheeks. "I'm David." A British accent that would have melted any woman lilted from his tongue.

My voice caught in my throat, but I forced out a "hello."

"Can I buy you a drink?" He motioned for the bartender.

I lifted my martini. "I'm good."

"Old-fashioned, please." He unbuttoned his suit coat and showed me a broad chest expertly covered with a dress shirt. The top two buttons were undone, giving me a view of tan skin covered with a light sprinkling of dark hair. It looked soft, and I knew it would tickle my cheek if I were lying on him after sex. Whoa, slow it down Claire.

"Where are you headed?" He took his glass, and I noticed an expensive watch peeking from beneath his cuff.

"Switzerland."

"Skiing?" He sipped his drink and angled his body toward me.

I sat up straighter and hoped my coral dress did something to flatter my figure. "Just a little holiday. Maybe some shopping."

"Special occasion?"

I glanced to my husband who had moved even closer to the blonde. "Fifth anniversary."

"I see." His interest didn't fade as I'd expected. "What's your name?"

Talking to strangers on trains wasn't really my forte, but there was no way I could stop now. He was just too tantalizing. "Claire."

"A beautiful name for a beautiful woman." He drank though his eyes never left mine.

A blush crept into my cheeks, and I tucked my hair behind my ear in a nervous movement. "Thanks."

"My pleasure." The way he enunciated the word "pleasure" sent a spark of heat skittering between my legs. He leaned closer and dropped his voice. "Speaking of pleasure." He nuzzled into my hair, his lips at my ear. "I couldn't help but overhear you last night. I believe your sleeper car is next to mine."

I froze, mortification icing the tidal wave of attraction I'd been feeling toward him. I leaned away. "I should go."

"No, please." He shook his head, his sparkling eyes holding me in place. "I didn't mean any offense."

I gulped my drink and stood. "I have to go." I have to go cry in my room that this handsome man overheard my husband's god-awful performance last night. "Excuse me." Tears prickled at my eyes as I hurried away and into the sleeper car area.

Heavy footsteps followed me, and before I could take another step, David had me pressed against the wall, his hard body rubbing mine in all the right ways.

"I know he didn't give you what you needed." He tilted my chin up until our eyes met. "I'd be more than happy to."

I swallowed hard. "You think you can just proposition me on my anniversary?"

He moved closer, brushing his lips against mine. "I can make it memorable for you, if you'd let me try."