"Hey, don't worry, kid," Toby says, "I can't blame you. She's a hot piece. Since Fireball here won't give you any, you gotta go somewhere, huh?"

My face turns even redder, and I hear Lexi scoff behind me. She's breathing down my neck, standing on the edges of her feet.

"Watch your mouth, pig," she growls, safe behind my shoulder. Her hand snakes up to my arm, grabbing me with a vice grip.

"I'm only playing," Toby says, throwing up his hands, "Her parents live in 24A, right above mine."

"Thank you," I say with a sigh, walking backwards away from him.

"No problem, your majesty. You'll just have to come back and tell me all about your little threeway adventure."

I blink, feeling the rage swell in my chest, but I'm frozen on my feet, crippled by the fact that fighting will earn me a strike. Lexi, though, doesn't even consider it. She's around me before I can even put an arm out to stop her, tackling Toby by jumping and throwing her legs around him. They hit the ground with Lexi on top, swinging both fists at his face in rapid succession.

As always, I watch, trying to think my way through this.

A crowd starts to form around us. If I wait much longer, a guard will catch wind of the fight, leading to a set of strikes that even I can't prevent.

The fear of losing Lexi overpowers my fear of the guards.

"Lexi, stop!" I yell, diving through the crowd and grabbing her by the waist. Gathering whatever strength I have, I lift her off him, tossing her to the concrete floor beside me. She's panting, spit rolling down her chin. This is a new level of rage, even for her. Toby swears madly through his swollen face, pushing himself off the ground.

"Keep your side chick in check, Austin," Toby growls, pushing himself into a kneeling position.

"Shut up, Toby," I mumble, picking Lexi up. She's still fuming, panting like a dog as she glares at him.

"Don't let him get away with this, Q," she whispers into my shoulder as I hold her up. I shake my head.

"You've done enough," I whisper back, pulling her towards the part forming in the crowd.

"One day, Collins," Toby threatens, pointing at us, "I'll tear into you."

I shake my head, rolling my eyes and pushing his voice out of my head.

Only when we are outside, clear of the chaos, guards, and stifling heat, does Lexi take a deep breath, closing her eyes and leaning her head back towards the sky. The thought crosses my mind that she might howl like a dog, but she just lets out a long breath.

"Let's go find Naomi," I say gently, holding her hand. She nods, opening her eyes and glancing down at our intertwined hands. I give her hand a squeeze, and she smiles, following me towards the living district.

We find Naomi on her front porch, knees pulled up to her chest as she sits on the edge. The wind blows her hair back a little, and her eyes rest closed.

"Hey," I call up, in a gentle voice. Her eyes open, and she looks down at us, lost for a moment.

"What are you doing here?"

"We, um, came to see if you were okay," I say, following Lexi up the steps, "You left without telling us."

Lexi kneels down beside her, throwing her arms around Naomi's slim figure. When they became friends is a mystery to me. Yet, it's like Lexi to make friends without really trying. Her fun personality attracts a menagerie of people.