19: Family Meeting

Something vibrates on my nightstand. It vibrates again. Then it starts playing the piercing chords of a bad song playing through an even worse speaker.

"Shut up," I mumble. What time is it? With the curtains drawn shut, the only light in the room comes from my phone ringing next to me. I should answer it, but I really don't want to.

I glance at the time. Four in the morning—who's even awake right now? The noise thankfully stops a few seconds later. I pull the covers up, roll over, and resolve to go back to sleep. Just as I'm reaching the floaty edges of a pleasant dream, the phone rings again.

"Shit!" I yell. Don't people know how important sleep is? More than irked, I blindly grab at my phone and accept the call. "What?"

The next words push any traces of sleep from my mind. "Victor is on his way to come get you, Sang," Owen says in his smooth voice. His words are perfectly formed, perfectly articulated. Regret washes through me for my snappy greeting.

"Why? What's wrong? Is someone hurt?" I stand on wobbly legs and begin to search for something to wear. There are only a few pitiful shirts left. When was the last time I did laundry?

"Nobody's hurt, yet," Owen says reassuringly. Something loud turns on in the background, drowning out his next words.

I groan in frustration. "Turn that off!" I yell.

The noise subsides. "A certain idiotic doctor decided that this was the time to make a smoothie," Owen grumbles.

"With apples and bananas!" Sean says in the background.

I fight the urge to collapse back on my bed. It's too early to deal with their nonsense. "Why is Victor picking me up at four in the morning?" Something bad must have happened. Owen's stalling for time.

"Because I told him to."

I'm going to punch him when I see his stupidly perfect face. Why can't he just answer my question? "And why did you tell him to?" I ask. If he gives another BS answer...

"Because I thought it was necessary."

Without a second thought, I end the call and toss the phone on my bed. It rings again, but I ignore it. I pull on a sweater and some jeans, grateful that I washed my hair last night, so it's not a greasy mess. After brushing my teeth to get rid of my atrocious morning breath, all I have left to do is wait for Victor.

My stomach clenches with nerves. Damn Owen for not just telling me what's wrong. Horrible scenarios come to mind. Did North get into an accident on his motorcycle? Sean wouldn't be making a smoothie if it was serious, right? He sounded awfully chipper.

Three knocks sound on the door, then two, then three again. I grumble to myself as I go to open it. Stupid random. Stupid Owen. Stupid early morning. I yank open the door. Victor stands in front of me, a sleepy smile on his face. He's wearing a pair of jeans and a white t-shirt. His hair is tousled, as if he didn't take the time to brush it.

"Hey Sang," he says. "Ready to go?"

I nod. Victor holds the door open for me as I leave, then also opens the passenger door for me when we get to his car. I duck my head, avoiding looking into his passionate eyes. He's too nice.

He pulls out of the parking lot. Since the sun hasn't even risen yet, there's no traffic, and soon we're speeding down the highway. I watch the buildings flash by us.

"Owen didn't tell me anything, if you're wondering," Victor murmurs.

"Aren't you curious, though?"