Chapter 8

My heart quickened.

How did a werewolf come onto these lands?

This was a vampires territory, was it an intruder?

A rouge?

I crouched down, steadying myself to change. I closed my eyes and let the change come over me. My bones shifted and the process was numbingly smoother than ever.

Until I felt a pain shoot through my spine like a blow to the gut. I cried out an excruciating scream. My heart tightened to an extreme, it felt like an iron grip, refusing to let go. My wolf fell to the floor on its side.

The pain instantly increased by the time I hit the floor.

And by that time I thought I was about to die.

Why did I start to feel pain now?

Was this it?

Was I going to die?

Every time I exhaled I couldn't inhale any more oxygen. It was too hard to breath, too much for me to continue fighting with the air.

My lungs were pounding for air but it didn't give.

No, this isn't my death, this is my torture.

It is the consummation of a rejected mate.

I would either die, live to survive another day alone for all eternity, or be given the chance to another mate.

These three options were not for me to decided, but in the hands of fate.

And I wished at that moment that I would die.

My head hammered at a rapid place not slowing but accelerating by the second.

It felt monstrously severe, sending unforgiving torment throughout my whole body. It was the worst pain I had ever gone through.

In all my life I had never felt so much pain, even the numbness couldn't beat this.

It was too much, I felt too much.

Nothing felt anymore painful or traumatic as the even that was happening at this instant.

I wished that the fates would take my life away.

No more chance at life.

Not even a mate.

It would be too much for me to handle another day... or another love that I would never have or experience.

I had nothing left to live for so why continue trying to live?

I already looked like a walking ghost, there was no reason to live anymore. The misery I was experiencing made my body tremble like I had a panic attack. I twitched and kicked the dirt beneath me.

But when I opened my eyes I saw it.

It was the darkest shade of black I had ever seen, as jet black as my hair.

It was amazingly large, the size of a horse.

Was it an Alpha? I had only seen Alpha Skyler shift a few times in my life and I feel like this beast in front of me was bigger.

The biggest I had ever seen.

Even in my last dying breaths I let my curiosity get the best of me.

Maybe the fates are playing with me, giving me a nice look at what I could have had before I died.

The wolf stopped in its tracks, already acknowledging my presence. It probably heard me cry out in a ear screeching manner already.

It walked slowly towards me, gazing at my condition.