Chapter 72

Jen's POV

My phone call with Harry calmed my nerves, as well as added to them at the same time. I was in this conflicted bubble of feeling relieved he wasn't making mistakes willingly, but anxious that he was letting bad influences into his life, letting them control the way he behaved while away from the comfort zone of his home.

I did trust him, it was everyone else I didn't. I never worried about how he behaved, or the choices he made while touring with his band. I knew they were good people, and he was well protected and surrounded by positive influences. No one could hurt him, or try to tarnish the good man I knew he was.

I didn't know these people he was with, now. I'd never met any of these men, or knew what kind of lifestyle they were accustomed to. The only thing I knew, was they were trying to corrupt him, and turn him into somebody I knew he wasn't, but they wanted him to be. My Harry was a smart man, I knew he wouldn't let them ruin him. Would he?

I had grown a lot since the beginning of our relationship. I felt like if this had happened a year ago, my reaction would have been completely different. I wouldn't have been understanding, and I would have given him the ultimatum to either stop spending his time with this new crew, or I would leave. Some would say I should have still done that, but I knew I had to trust him, and let him differentiate right from wrong.

Time would tell what would happen with everything, and how this would all play out. I just hoped for his own sake, he kept landing on the ladders to success, rather than fall upon the snakes to keep him sliding down to meet his downfall. I knew his morals, and I knew his integrity, but it didn't matter what I knew, it mattered what he did.

Since becoming a mother, my reactions to situations had changed. My daughter was my number one focus right now. Every decision I made, had to be for her now. I couldn't give up on her father, and break up a family, just because I may not have liked something he had done. Especially when it wasn't his choice. I may not have liked how last night played out, but I also had to believe it wouldn't happen again. He promised me, and I held him to that.

I made my way back inside for dinner, trying to keep my mind from wandering back to what Harry was doing right now, and if he really would listen to me, and not ruin everything he worked so hard to build. I reminded myself he was a smart man, he was true to his word, and he wouldn't lie to me.

"How did that call go?" Angus asked, as he sat down my plate in front of me at the dining table.

"As well as it could, I guess," I shrugged, not really knowing if I would describe the call as a positive or negative. At the end of the day he still took drugs, and still tried to kiss my cousin.

"What did he have to say for himself?" Gemma spoke up next, in a more interrogational tone than Angus. This was her brother, the disappointment I felt in him was matched by her.

"He said his drink was spiked. This Bradley guy he's with tried to force him to take the Ecstasy pill, he refused and that's when he text me saying he wished I were there. When he got back to the table he offered him a shot, and only after that he was told there was a pill crushed into it. He promised me he wouldn't put himself in that situation again, and I have to believe him, Gem."

"He's hanging around with Bradley Watson? Are you f*cking kidding me?" Her eyes shot right through me like a bullet, as if I had just said the worst thing I could have.