Chapter 2

After school, I walked to my sister's school and picked her up. On our way home, I bought her favorite ice cream.

I'm dreading going home because of my dad. He's probably going to be drunk, and end up throwing things again. I hate being around him.

Once we arrive home, we walk through the door to hear a crashing sound coming from the kitchen.

"Avery, why don't you go to my room. I will be there in a minute." I say, before she took off in the direction of the bedroom.

I slowly make my way to the kitchen, scared of what's going to happen or what I am going to see.

My dad came into view. He's currently picking up pieces of a plate that's scattered on the floor. I slowly back away, preparing to walk to my bedroom.

"Leticia." My dad calls, using my full name.

He knows I hate that name, and that's why he calls me by it. Mentally preparing myself, I slowly walk in the kitchen.

"Yeah?"

"Clean this up." He slurrs, staggering toward me.

I quickly walk around him, making sure he makes his way toward the living room. Once he's out of sight, I clean the mess up off the ground. When I'm done, I look in the living room to see my dad is passed out on the couch.

He will be out the whole night. He always is. I walk to my bedroom to see Avery is laying down on my bed.

"Is dad mad?"

"No, he's not." I say, laying beside her. "He's asleep now. You don't have to worry."

I pull her into me, hugging her close. I kiss her on the forehead, slowly resting my eyes.

"Letty...Letty, wake up."

I slowly wake up to the sound of my little sister's voice.

"Something wrong?"

"I had a nightmare."

"It's going to be okay." I tell her, covering her up with the blanket.

It was eight at night. The race starts at eleven. I wait until Avery falls asleep, before I start to get ready for tonight.

I decide to not wear the clothes I normally wear to the races. I put on a pair of loose pants, a grey hoodie, and a pair of black shoes that aren't necessarily for girls to wear but I don't care.

I put my hair in a tight bun, and then put a hat on. When I look in the mirror, I see that my hair doesn't even look like I have girl hair or even a girl for that matter. Shrugging my shoulders, I climb out the window and head that way.

The streets are dead. The only sound I can hear is my footsteps hitting the pavement road. The road that is all so familiar to me. I walked it so many times before to get to my car.

Once I get to my car, I drive to the race. There are cars lined up diagonally on either side of the road. It's always like this. Most of them just come to show off their cars, but never race.

I back my car in an empty spot, and then put my glasses on so no one will notice me. I get out of my car and hand the money to the guy.

I look around, instantly seeing Dom. He's leaning against his car, talking to Brian, one of the guys that go to my school. He's a pretty good racer, but not as good as Dom. No one here has ever beat Dom in a race.

I lean against my car, and look around. I glance at Dom to see him and Brian looking my way.

"The race is about to begin in three minutes. Racers get ready!"