/14\

dean

his brother loved books. dean would often times steal a book or two for his younger brother, never understanding what he saw in them. but as he sat there, listening to the king reading out words, he fell in love with them.

the king sat in the chair across from him, a soft smile on his face as he read aloud a story to dean, often times showing him the page to point out a difficult word.

they had been doing this twice a week, for four weeks. castiel always seemed to know when to go, and where the guards were so they were never caught. during their time, dean learned more and more about the despised ruler's son.

he noticed that castiel tries to establish his authority, but is not really sure how and tends to try too hard. his voice is deep and gravelly, catching the attention of anyone and can scare people when he is angry. he hates it when dean calls him princess. his weakness his books and he loves to be alone, but often finds himself attached to the prisoner.

dean found that the king was a little  more tolerable than he originally thought. they bickered and called each other names, but it wasn't as brutal as before.

sometimes, dean would find himself wondering where they would be if castiel wasn't royalty. would they be friends, or would they never meet each other?

he was so lost in these thoughts that he didn't even notice castiel standing up and pushing in his chair. "i see that it was a boring book? oh well... i'll find something more interesting next week i guess." castiel said as he walked over to place the book on a shelf.

dean pushed in his chair as well and followed him. "i didn't find it boring, just lost in thought..."

castiel smiled. "oh how sad, i was enjoying it."

"maybe you can try again next week?" he whispered as they snuck through the halls. cas then stopped and turned to face him.

"what is today?" he asked softly. dean shrugged. "do you seriously think that a prisoner who has not seen the sunlight in who knows how long really knows what day it is?"

cas rolled his eyes at the answer before turning around. "nevermind. why did i even bother asking you?"

they entered his cell and dean sat down on his little hay pile. "why were you asking about the day, princess?"

the king glared at the prisoner. "don't call me princess. i am the king, you know, and i could have things done to you for offending me."

"so you have told me many times... now answer the question."

"i thought that your time here is almost up..." castiel murmured.

dean expected happiness to fill him, for he would see his little brother, but instead he felt a different feeling. "what do you mean?"

castiel sat down in the hay beside him. "i ordered that you should stay here for two months... no more, no less. but i think that your time is up."

"oh..." was all that dean could say.

"you can see your brother." castiel tried to lighten the mood. "yeah."

he laughed softly. "you don't have to see me ever again, dean. i think you will be very happy about that."

they were quiet for a moment. "who said i would be happy about that?"