Chapter 9: Lucas

<Author note: This chapter takes place in  'our dimension' with the 'alternate dimension's' characters. I will try and post this at the beginning of every chapter just to keep folks in the right head space when reading. Feedback always appreciated.>     

Lena opened the door to her penthouse, looking at Kara who stood smiling brightly. The doorman had called, and though surprised, Lena had said to send Kara right up. She'd said always to send Kara right up. Kara was her only friend in the world, and nothing should stop her if she needed something.

Tugging her black robe closed, Lena leaned forward slightly as she stood holding the door open. "Kara what a surprise. Is everything all right?"

Nodding, Kara replied, "Sorry to drop by without calling first but...you live in a penthouse."

"Uh...yes. I live in a penthouse. That hasn't changed."

"You seem like a house with family in the suburbs kind of person to me."

Narrowing her eyes, Lena said, "Excuse me?"

"Nothing, I just..." Kara shook her head. "How long have you lived here?"

"Since I moved to National City when..." Lena looked down at the bag in Kara's hand. "Are you going somewhere, Kara?"

"Oh, right, my bag. I need a favor," Kara replied, dropping her bag in the open doorway.

Lena raised one eyebrow at the bag, then looked up at Kara.

Smiling, Kara reached out, gently rubbing her thumb over Lena's raised brow. "Your disapproving eyebrow."

Leaning away, Lena asked, "What's going on?"

"Exterminators."

"Exterminators?"

Kara nodded. "One of my neighbors has some kind of infestation. They've told us all to get a place to stay until it's safe to return to our apartments. I was going to get a hotel, but they're just so impersonal, so lonely. I just wanted to feel more at home, you know?"

"Uh, I suppose. Well, your sister—"

"Has a guest."

"Ah, Detective Sawyer. That would be...uncomfortable for you, I suppose."

"Yes, the detective is staying with Alex. That happens sometimes. So..." Kara said, leaning forward with a broad smile.

"Well, I have plenty of room. If you'd like, you're welcome to stay with—"

"Great!" Kara grabbed her bag from the floor and strode past Lena. She kicked off her shoes in the foyer, then dropped her bag and purse in the living room. Falling into a seat on the couch, she relaxed. "So, what are we doing tonight? Want to make popcorn and watch a movie?"

"Actually, I was in the middle of some reading. You can put your bag in that room and—"

"Where's your room?" Kara asked as she stood up, walking in a direction different than what Lena had gestured.

"No that's the study." Lena trailed after Kara. "I mainly use this for work."

"And reading," Kara said, going through the books on the bookshelf. "Wow, some great books here. Do you read in here in front of the fireplace?"

"Sometimes," Lena admitted. "Some nights I'll just take a book and go—"

"To bed?" Kara said as she turned around. "Do you like to curl up with a good book in bed, read until you can't keep your eyes open anymore? Is it like snuggling up with a good friend? Does it make you want to snuggle up with a good friend?"