Chapter 22~Picture Frame

Oliver's POV

"W-we should stop now," said Celeste while pushing my weight off of her.

"I'm sorry, I didn't-"

She held up a finger to my mouth. "Would you quit saying sorry?" she said smiling. "I forgive you Oliver."

Once those words were out of her mouth a huge sigh of relief rushed through my body.

"That's all I ever wanted," I answered, and hugged her.

For some eerie reason, I felt like I was being watched. That we were being watched by someone. Celeste must have felt me become tense.

"Everything alright?" she asked while grabbing my shoulders.

"Y-yeah Celeste everything's fine," I said while looking down.

"Obviously not. Oliver I'm not dumb, I can tell what you're thinking. I was born at night but not last night, tell me what's wrong," she said soothingly while caressing my cheek.

"I feel like we're being watched," I blurted out. "I know it sounds crazy because we're out in the middle of nowhere and who could be watching us. It's just my anxiety kicking in."

"Well, maybe if we explored around the house you wouldn't feel so paranoid?" she asked looking me in the eye.

"Yeah but don't wander around without me okay?" I demanded while gripping her arm.

"Relax Oliver, the house is a only few square feet, I can't go anywhere."

She's right. She is always right, after all she is the sane one here.

"Hand over the gun," I said while putting out my hand. "Please, I don't want you to be carrying around something so powerful. You don't even have experience with it." She took the gun out from her back pocket and placed it in my hand.

"Stay behind me," I whispered while we made our way through the house.

I could tell that this home once belonged to a family of four. Although the rooms were all cleared out and walls were caving in, there was still a lamp in one room or a carpet in the next. Whoever was living in this home wanted to leave as soon as possible.

Finally, Celeste and I reached the last room, the master bedroom.

"Don't say a word," I whispered as I turned the doorknob and entered the room pointing the gun to any unexpected intruder.

The room was empty, just like the rest. But it did have one thing that weren't in the rest of the rooms. There was a photo frame on the ground.

"What in the world," I mumbled while walking over to frame.

It was facing down and had a crack in the back of the old wooden frame. I bent down to pick it up and saw the photo that was in it.

"What the hell?" I said while staring at the picture. It was a picture of me when I was younger, but I also had someone else by my side.

"Celeste?" I called while staring at the photo in awe.

"What's wrong did you find something?" she spoke as she came walking in my direction.

"Oh a picture frame who's -" her words were cut off by pure disbelief.

"Is t-that-" she tried to say while she tried to settle her shaking finger on the dusty photo.

"Yes, yes it is," I said while staring at the photo, wishing it was just my imagination making up the image. This was no mind game, this was real.

"How is that even possible?" Celeste said while tears began to form in her eyes.

"No this can't be right," I yelled while throwing the frame on the ground. "Fiona?"

Suddenly, it all hit me. Staring up into the corner of the ceiling, there was an infamous surveillance camera. Watching us.

"Celeste," I said through my teeth.

"What?" she answered quite loudly.

"Sssh!"

I raised the gun and pointed it at the camera.

"You selfish bastard," I spat while pulling the trigger and blasting out the camera.

"We're being watched?" Celeste cried as she rushed out of the room.

"No get back here!" I yelled while chasing after her.

"You lied to me Oliver! You knew about this the whole time!" she screamed.

"What the hell? No I didn't Celeste! I just found out the same time you did! I have nothing to do with this! I don't know why there's a photo of me in this shack or why there are cameras everywhere! I swear I had no idea about this Celeste!" I screamed while shooting at another camera in the hallway.

"We need to get out of here!" I said while grabbing her arm and pulling her out the door.

"Hold on!" she said pulling her arm out of my grip.

"You expect me to get in the car with you? How do I know this isn't part of a plan?"

"Celeste we don't have time! We need to get out of here!" I yelled impatiently.

"What do you mean we don't have time. What are we trying to accomplish here. You haven't told me anything or filled me in on any details about all of this!" she exclaimed while gesturing to all of the cameras.

I can see her logic here, if only she knew the real meaning behind the government. But I can't tell her.

"Look all I can say is I can take you to your dad right now! Isn't that what you wanted?" I asked.

"Yes, but-"

"But what? He's in danger Celeste! he could be getting tortured by Red! And your siblings! They will not last long without your help! We need to leave!" I yelled while running outside to the car.

"Is Red the one who is watching us?" she said while choking on her words.

"I'm pretty positive, and he knows that we are on a team together now. That just means even more danger for your family. Please we need to go!" I reached my hand out and she grabbed it.

We both hopped into the car and I started the engine.

"Hold on, wait Oliver!" gasped Celeste.

"No we need to go!"

"Remove the tracker from the car!" she yelled.

She's a genius. Of course I need to remove the tracker. I jumped out of the car fast and slid under the vehicle. I could see the small tag hooked on the bottom and I shot it off.

We were off the grid.

Authors note:

Sorry for the short chapter!! Don't forget to follow me on IG @fleshthebook