12♛

C H A P T E R - 1 2

      I followed the officer into the small room. It felt like my heart was beating at least 200 BPM. I was scared out of my mind, I had to admit. Small rooms with cameras intimidated me. The officer lead me into a small room, much like a classroom, and told me to take a seat. I did.

      He took out a notepad and sat on his desk. “The date is March 4, 2014. I’m interrogating Egypt Corinne Henry about a local murder case,” the officer announces. I don’t know who he’s talking to. I get ready to answer the questions the best I can. I’ve seen The First 48 enough times to see how the officers were. They intimidate the hell out of you, and try to force you to confess to a crime you ain’t commit.

     “Well, Egypt. . . Do you know anyone named Cairo Henry?” The officer interrogated, pen in hand. I shook my head.

       “No. I never heard of that name in my entire life,” I reply. So far the questions were easy. I was just trying to eliminate myself as a suspect as much as possible.

    “Hmmm. I see you two both share the last name. Do you have any brothers and sisters, Ms. Henry?” The officer challenged. I narrowed my eyes. It seemed like he was just waiting to catch me in some lie.

      “No. It’s me and my mother. I know that my father could’ve had more kids that weren’t by my mom, but I don’t know them personally,” I replied. The officer narrowed his eyes at me, like he ain’t believe a word I said. I kept my straight face because I know I was telling the truth.

      “Do you expect me to believe that you didn’t know you had a brother that was so close to you? Your story doesn’t make any sense to me,” the officer challenged. 

      “The story makes complete sense. I haven’t seen my father in multiple years, that’s why we moved here, to Compton. He left us, and we had to start out completely fresh, if that’s any of yo’ business,” I shot back. This officer was on some straight-up bullshit. He wasn’t even making this about the case anymore.

      “I find it interesting that you moved here, one of the infamous crime capitals of the United States, to start fresh. Are you sure that your mom didn’t move here to be with your father? Perhaps they could reunite?”

      “That ain’t got nothing to do with this! I don’t know where my daddy—I meant my deadbeat is. I ain’t know I had a brother, or nuthin’!” I exclaimed. I was heated. The case got to the point where it wasn’t even about me, it was about my life.

      “Well, your father and your brother both live in this area, in case your mom was trying to hide things from you. Hate to break things to you.” The officer was going out of his way to make me have one the worst days of my life. My momma ain’t have no reason to lie about this to me, or did she? If my daddy was in the area, then why the hell we ain’t have no money? Why the hell I ain’t know about it until now? Most importantly, why the fuck did I have to find out from somebody or didn’t give a damn about me?

     “Is we done?” I asked impatiently. 

       The officer rolled his eyes and sighed. “You’re free to go for now, but we will be doing a follow-up. You’re not done with the case yet, don’t think you got off that easy.”

      • S E R E N A - P O V •

      I hadn’t seen Egypt for an entire day. I didn’t know where she went, or what she could be doing. I  just knew she wasn’t here, and it made me nervous as hell. I knew in Compton the violence never ended. We could never get peace here. I knew understand why it was this way around here—we constantly separate ourselves, then we kill ourselves. We always lose the most important to us.

      Speaking of the devil, Egypt walked into the house, and she looked upset as fuck. I didn’t know what happened to her, but I knew all hell was about to break lose.

      “Where the fuck is my momma?” Egypt exclaimed. Her momma walked in slowly, with a puzzled, shocked, look on her face. 

      “Why are you doing all that damn cussin’? I told you I don’t like that shit!” I wanted to laugh at Egypt’s mom just for saying some bullshit like that.

      “Don’t worry about me doing all this cussing, worry about the fact that I had a brother and a father living around the block that I ain’t know about! What kind of bullshit is that? How could you keep that from me?” Tears were running down Egypt’s cheeks. This was the first time I’d ever seen her this upset.

      Egypt’s mom looked speechless. She didn’t say anything.

      “Huh? You thought I would never find out, huh? You know I loved my daddy with all my heart, and you would keep a secret like that from me for all these years? What kind of mother does that to her child?” Egypt yelled. I sat on the couch looking at the both of them, awkwardly.

      “Don’t you dare you question me as a mother! You know damn well I did the best I knew how!” Egypt’s mom yelled back.

      “Apparently not! What else are you hiding from me?” Egypt exclaimed. “And don’t you dare hide something else, because you know I’ll find out about it anyways.” Egypt stared her mom down. Egypt’s mom swallowed hard, and cocked her head.

      “Egypt, I ain’t gonna be on this earth much longer.”

____________________________

excuse the short chapter. I’ve been super busy, and this is the most I can do until spring break. this is probably my most busiest time of the year, and im going to try to make chapters more frequent. 

- olivia