Prologue

Throwing their prom picture across the room, the glass shatters. The frame and photo hits the hardwood with a thump.

"All these pictures. All happy and in love! Was it ever real?"

Twisting his wedding band around his finger, he looks like a deer in the headlights. He's speechless. He watches her face scrunch up and her brows furrow. She picks up their wedding picture, the one snapped right as 'I do's' were said. He ducks just in time. Barely missing his head, the frame hits the wall behind him.

"Baby, sweetie. You know I love you."

"No you don't. You lied."

"Lucy, darling. Please believe me."

"I can't even stand the sight of you. You make me sick. David, I love you. I wish I didn't."

"We can get through this. We've had downs before. I believe in us." He inches towards her.

"This is bigger than moving away for college. This is too real, too hard. You know what damage it would cause, you should have known." She glances at the multiple college pictures. The ones where they'd always come back to the town they met in, and have date nights. A single tear falls as she tries to look back at the man standing in front of her. High school sweethearts, college sweethearts, and finally husband and wife. The love these years hold and some great struggles, but nothing compares to the past year of marriage.

"Lucy? We can work through this. She meant nothing to me. You're my sweetheart." He reaches for her hand, but she pulls away.