Chapter 26

Jedediah stares at the sleeping two year old. What do I do now? He's asleep so I can't just leave him in here, but I don't want to wake him up either. He sighs and sits on the couch. Aubrey has gone to Lubbock with Jenny for a 'girls day' and although he had told her to go he was now wondering how she puts up with three of these little bundles of energy all day long. Talk about patience of Job!

He picks up a Western Horsemen magazine and settles into a comfortable position. It is going to be a while before Cole wakes up and is back to jumping around. It is only two in the afternoon but it feels like it should be nine at night.

Aubrey has checked in every hour making sure he was holding up fine and asking if he needs her to come home. Although many times he wanted to say yes and was feeling a bit overwhelmed he always told her they were fine. He knows she needs a get away day after the results of the funeral and everything.

His phone begins to ring making him jump and hurry to silence it before it wakes Cole. "Hello?"

"Hey are you busy?" It was no doubt Traven's voice with the wind blowing in the background.

Jedediah glances over at the sleeping child. "Kind of. What you got?"

"The old wire gate up here in the  North Point pasture busted and I'm sitting in to keep the cattle from mixing."

Jedediah nods. "Alright, I've got Cole asleep right now but I'll ride up there as soon as I can if you can hold out a little longer."

On the other end of the line Traven smiles. "Yeah I can hold out. Thanks man."

"No problem." Jedediah gets up and slips on his blue topped boots that he keeps his spurs on. He stares at his leather leggings for a long moment before shaking his head. Cole is going to be riding with him so chasing cattle is out of the question. When he looks back at the little boy he is no longer sleeping.

"Can we go see the horses, Jedi?"

Jedediah smiles and bends down in front of him. "How would you like to ride and go take Mr. Traven some wire?"

The sleep is pushed from his eyes by excitement. "Really? Can we?"

"You think you can get your boots on for me?"

Without answering the little boy runs off to the last place he had them on. Jedediah smiles and begins to rummage through the barrel of leather stuff sitting in the corner of the room. He pulls piece after piece out until finally he is holding just the thing he needs. A dark brown leather saddle bag to tie on the back of his saddle.

Once it is loaded with water, a couple of snacks for the little guy and wire he straps it on his saddle while Cole plays with something in the barn. "Alright Cole, you ready to go?"

"Yeah!" The little boy declares with his blonde locks bouncing as he nods his head vigorously.

Jedediah chuckles at his enthusiasm. "You can't go until you have this," he says holding out a little palm leaf hat just the size for the little head.

A screech of excitement fills the air as Jedediah places it on Cole's head. "Thank you thank you thank you!" The little boy yells clasping his arms around Jedediah's legs and squeezing as hard as his arms could.

"You're welcome now come on, we got to go." He lifts the little boy into the big saddle. "Sit right there for just a second, okay? Hold onto that round thing right there." Cole follows instructions and watches as Jedediah ties the saddle bag on the back of the saddle before he too settle into the seat of the saddle.

"Yay!" The little boy declares as the horse begins to walk out of the pens and into the pasture. Jedediah sends Traven a quick text saying that he and Cole are riding out from his house right now. The giggles that fill the air as he urges the horse into a easy trot melts his heart. The only way this ride could get any better is if Aubrey were riding beside them.
***

Aubrey glances at her phone for the umpteenth time that day. It's not that she doesn't trust Jedediah with Cole or that Cole will behave for him. She just misses them both and wants to know what they are doing and that it is going okay. She sees the slight smile on Jenny's face and raises her eyebrows. "What?" But she already knows.

"Nothing you just are in love with him."

Aubrey laughs as if that is a crazy idea, but is it really? She knows she loves him. Is she in love with him?

Jenny sees the look of thought on her friends face. "Just think about it, you will see. Everyone else always knows before you do."

Aubrey begins to let her mind roam over the thought as her friend walks away leaving her in a world of swimming emotions and thoughts. Is this a good thing? What if something goes wrong? Cole is already so attached to him if it didn't work out he would be heartbroken. Have I been selfish in this relationship? Have I only been thinking of myself and not of how this could effect Cole? She sighs and runs her hands over her face. She prays a silent prayer for guidance, peace, and direction before speed walking to catch up with her friends.

Not long after they get done eating her phone beeps telling her she has a new text. Jenny bumps her with a smile. Aubrey giggles and unlocks her phone. The brightest smile she has worn in a long time lights up her face as she looks at the picture of Cole and Jedediah riding together. Wrapped up in looking at the picture she doesn't notice when Jenny and Melissa looking over her shoulder.

"Aw! That's Cole? He's adorable!" Melissa declares.

Jenny giggles. "I think it's more than Cole that is adorable to Aubrey."

A deep blush covers Aubrey's cheeks and she glares over her shoulder at her friends. "Alright, alright, we are dating so you can drop the teasing."

Melissa laughs and shakes her head playfully. "Oh no, girl, dating just means there isn't the hint to put yourself out there."

"Let's go so y'all can get your nails done," Aubrey says making them all laugh.
***

Jedediah sees the dust coming down the dusk light road and smiles. Sure the little two year old, that sits on the ground with a stick beating the ground, has worn him out today, but he was happier that she was home safe and sound than that she was here to take him back to town with her. The smile is more about the fact that God gave her safe travels than, and he is happy to see her, than anything else. His gaze is drawn back to Cole when he squeals with delight.

"Momma! Momma! Momma!" The little boy screams jumping up and down.

Jedediah laughs. "Yes, big boy, your momma is home." He realizes he just said home and it makes him smile. Yes, this is where he wants her to call home. Just maybe not quite yet, there are things that they should probably sort out first.

When Cole runs from his side Jedediah is pulled from his thoughts he starts to grab the child and pull him back to him, but then realizes that Aubrey's car is stopped and she is walking towards them. A big smile spreads across his face as he strolls towards them.

"Momma! Guess what? Jedi and I went riding."

Jedediah gins and cocks his head towards Cole. "That was suppose to be our secret."

Cole covers his mouth with his little hands and giggles. "Oops."

"It's alright, bud, she doesn't look mad. Does she?"

Aubrey laughs and kisses each of them on their cheeks. "No I am not mad, in fact I got this adorable picture," she says turning her phone around so that they can see the picture Raely sent and she has set as her lock screen.

"I'm not adorable. I'm a big boy and big boys are not adorable," Cole informs them before kissing her cheek. She laughs and ruffles his hair.

Jedediah laces his fingers through hers. "Adorable, huh? Not my choice of words, but okay."

She laughs as the three of them walk towards his house with smiles shining on each happy face. The sun is starting to set behind the house making it a perfect scene for the end of a happily ever after movie. And for the three of them in that moment it is.