Isabelle Lightwood - "Could you be happy, here, with me?"

Even though you had been in the institute countless times before, you still didn't feel completely comfortable. You had your arms crossed over your chest and you shifted your weight from one leg to the other every time someone turned his head to stare at you.

"Don't worry, they'll get used to it." Isabelle placed a hand on your shoulder and squeezed it gently. "They'll have to, at least, when it's up to me." She smiled a bright smile and you took a deep breath while you realised how pretty she was, how strong she was, how confident she was and how smart she was. Somehow it was hard to believe that out of all the people in the world, she had picked you to fall in love with.

Absentmindedly you nodded and you stared at the huge screen in front of you with a map of the entire city. You knew that you were actually not supposed to be here. You were only human. You had no angel blood rushing through your veins. You couldn't give yourself all kinds of superpowers by marking runes into your skin. You were an ordinary human.

Isabelle had said more than once that it was exactly the reason why she loved you so much, why she had picked you and not someone else, why she had never fallen for a shadowhunter. She had assured you that you weren't weak, that you weren't worthless, that she preferred having you by her side over almost everyone else.

You had trouble believing her. You had trouble believing that someone like her would settle for someone she would most likely have to protect for the rest of her life. You knew that you were Isabelle's greatest weakness, whether you were with her or not. You knew that maybe one day she would end up hurt or harmed because someone or something would try to get to you, knowing that you were an easy target.

"Can I ask you something?" Isabelle interrupted your thoughts. Her voice was a soft whisper and she took a deep breath while she turned towards you, her eyes meeting yours. "I wanted to ask it for a long time already, but I was waiting for the right moment. I don't think it will come, so..." She shrugged her shoulders and her lips, still curled up into a smile, trembled a little. "I'll make this the right moment."

You nodded and you tensed all the muscles in your human body. "You can ask me everything, you know that."

Isabelle nodded back at you and after one more sigh she licked her lips. "Could you be happy, here, with me?" She cocked her head a little. "Do you think you could live here, even though you're only human?" She kept her eyes on yours. "I don't want to be without you anymore. I don't want to go to bed at night, not knowing if you are safe. I want you to be here, with me." She hesitated for a moment. "I know it won't be easy, but I'll keep you safe, I promise."

You stared at her for a moment, her words echoing through the back of your mind. Could you be happy here, with her? You didn't know, but you did know that you couldn't be happy anywhere without her. "We can try it out and see how it goes..." You hesitated for a short moment and then you felt her arms around your neck.

"I'll make it work." She pressed her forehead to yours. "We'll make it work." Her nose brushed yours and then she kissed you, tenderly, slowly, her eyes closed and her grip around your neck tightening. "You'd make me the happiest creature in the entire world."

A smile spread across your face before you kissed her again. "And that, that would make me the happiest girl alive."