TRIAL

All those outlets flickered black then an image of the hologram of David Kel standing in front of the podium played across the StarNet.

"Hello I am David Kel of the lionhearted we interrupt your schedule news reports to bring you the trial of vice president Almon and president Winkler. Both are charged with breaking all three of the great laws and multiple crimes against humanity. I will be the judge and Zephyra Lily Kel will be the prosecutor. Both the president and vice president are being represented by their attorneys respectively. This will be a jury trial and everyone in this sector will be on the jury. After the court procedures we will adjourn for three hours during which time you will be able to use your personal communicators to vote once guilty or not guilty for each defendant. We will be using the well-known and established Toair as our vote receiver and counter.

David Kel walked behind the podium and sat down. The sound of a gavel rang out. "This court is now in session."

The cameras zoomed out to show the courtroom the place where the jury normally sat had been pushed back allowing for another giant table to be put on the defendant side. A lifelike hologram of President Winkler sat next to his attorney at this second table while the first table contained a hologram of vice president Almon sitting next to his attorney.

Zephyr's hologram stood from the prosecutor's table on the other side of the courtroom and walked forward. "I call defendant Almon to the stand."

The lifelike projection of Almon didn't move from his seat.

Zephyr looked at him and raised an eyebrow. "Defendant Almon to the stand please."

He still didn't move.

David Kel looked down at him disapprovingly. "If you do not cooperate you will be found in contempt of court."

"What's the difference? You're going to kill me either way." Almon shouted back.

"Does that mean you're pleading guilty?" Zephyr said. "That would certainly make my job easier."

"No I'm not!"

"Then it is in your best interest to comply with this Court." David Kel answered. "Please take the stand."

The attorney turned to him and quietly said, "If they are truly going to let the populace decide you may still have a chance. Especially since I seriously doubt they have the evidence to hold up these insane charges."

Almon looked over at his attorney and the myriad of screens displaying the charges against him and then slowly stood up and he made his way to the stand.

Zephyr stood in front of him. "I will not bother to swear you in because your actions alone as a politician have proven you to not be honorable to your word. However I would like to direct your attention to the small round bulb sitting in front of the judge. That is a lie detector it will light up red and buzz every time it detects a lie."

Winkler's attorney shot to his feet. "Objection: lie detecting technology is known to be faulty and is not reliable for use anywhere much less in the court of law!"

David Kel leaned forward. "Mr. Byrne you will keep your voice down. Shouting is not necessary we can all hear you just fine." David Kel stared pointedly at him just like a judge would. "And while lie detecting technology in the public sector may not be reliable I assure you the lionhearted have perfected it well over 400 years ago."

"So you say but how do we know you're not just pushing some button back wherever you are cowardly hiding."

The hologram of David Kel did not in the least bit rise to his acquisition instead he looked over to Zephyr as he calmly said, "If we wished to skewed justice we would not have gone to such lengths as we already have. Objection overruled. Please continue with the prosecution."