Chapter 2

The bus stopped, and I climbed up the steps ahead of Cayley. I gave the driver enough fare for the both of us, which earned me an eye roll from Cayley. I trudged to the back of the bus, and plopped down next to the window. This earned me a nasty glare from the driver, to which I responded by mumbling 'calm your tits.' Cayley slid into the seat beside me.

I pulled my i-pod out of my pocket, and handed her one of the ear phones. I scrolled through my artists until I reached One Direction. I clicked on Up All Night. And Liam's voice filled my ears.

"It feels like we've been livin in fast-forward, another moment passin' by. (Up up all night) The aprty's ending, but it's now or never, nobody's goin' home tonight. (Up up all night)." I grinned when I heard Harry's voice.

"Katy Perry's on replay. She's on replay. Dj got the floor to shake. The floor to shake. People goin' all the way. Yeah all the way. I'm still wide awake." Cayley and I began to dance around around and sing along with the chorus.

"I wanna stay up all night, and jump around until we see the sun. I wanna stay up all night and find a girl, and tell her she's the one." I noticed an old lady staring at me. So, being the smart alec I am, I grinned real big and waved. She looked shocked at first, but then glared at me before turning around. I looked at Cayley who just laughed and rolled her eyes at me.. We continued to sing and dance around in the seat, until the song ended and we were close to the mall. I pulled the thingy that let the driver know someone wanted off, and I followed Cayley off the bus.

"You don't care do you?" She asked between laughs. I stuffed my i-pod in my pocket as we walked into the mall.

"Care about what?" I asked innocently.

"Being yourself."

"Not at all. There's no point in being someone your not. If those people don't like it, they can kiss my backside." I said. Cayley giggled.

"Rue 21?" She asked turning towards the store. I shrugged and followed behind her. She went to one end of the store, and I went to the other.

After a few minutes of looking, I found a shirt I liked, and went to try it on. It had tank top like straps. The top was black, and hugged my chest. It was cinched in the middle. The rest of it was red, and it flowed loosely down my torso. I grinned at my reflection in the mirror. I took the shirt off, and went to look some more.. I found a pair of white jean shorts with red designs on the back pockets. I added those to my pile. I kept looking and found an off-the-shoulder shirt that was black with red shiny lips on the front.

I was having a hard time choosing between a denim skirt, and a pink one, so I turned to ask for Cayley's opinion.

"Cay, should I pick the d-" I gasped and stopped talking when I saw her. She was wearing a shirt like the red and black one I found, but hers was turquoise and white. The material was silk, and their were little sparkles all over it. It made her blue eyes stand out. She had on a pair of white jeans with blue flower designs down one leg, and on the back pockets. They fit her perfectly.

"What's wrong?" She asked, her smile fading.

"Nothing. You look amazing." Her grin came back.

"Really?"

"Definitely." I said. I looked back down to the skirts in my hand. I liked both of them, but the denim suited me. I knew I would feel weird in the pink one.

"Pick the denim. More you." Cayley said. I shook my head. It was weird how we did that. I put the pink one back on the rack, and gathered all of my items. Cayley trailed behind me, after taking off the outfit, her arms full of clothes. We paid and left.

"I'm thirsty." I said as we a passed a food stand. "You want something?"

"Sure." I walked over to the stand.

"I'm buyin." I said. Cayley sighed.

"Of course you are." I bought to blue raspberry icees, and paid. When I turned around, I almost dropped my icee. Harry Styles stood right behind me! No, I'm totally kidding. Instead, it was the only other thing that could get a reaction like that out of me.

It was a pair of shoes. More importantly, a pair of DC's. They were red and black plaid. The black lines were glittery. I gasped, and ran over to the shoe store.

I have a bad habit of finding a pair of shoes I like, and finding my size. But not having enough money to buy them.

And that's exactly what happened.

"They have my size!" I squealed, hugging them to my chest. "Oh! They're so pretty!" Cayley laughed.

"So, I'm guessing you like them?"

"Like? No! I LOVE them!"

"Are you going to get them?" She asked. I nodded. Then, I looked at the price, and my face fell.

"I can't. They're not on sale. I don't have enough money." Sadly, I put them back on the shelf.

"Well, I can pay for the rest." She said, digging around in her pocket.

"Absolutely not." I said. I hated when people spent money on me. It made me feel like a bum, and I didn't like that feeling. I didn't like it at all.

"Why not?" She asked.

"You know why, Cayley! I hate people spending money on me! I hate owing people. And I don't know when I could pay you back."

"You're my best friend. You wouldn't have to pay me back." She said. "You spend all kinds of money on me and everyone else."

"Yeah, because I like helping people, and I don't owe them anything. I never have them pay me back, because I don't like owing people. I like spending money on others, but I don't like others spending money on me."

"Nikki I-" She began, but I cut her off.

"Cayley." I warned.

"Just let me-"

"No."

"But I-"

"No!" I stormed off before she could argue further.

                                             Cayley's Point of View

I sighed. I hated when she was stubborn like this. She was my best friend. Practically my sister. I didn't mind spending money on her. At least not when I had it. And this time I did.

"Nikki I-" I began to speak, but she cut me off.

"Cayley." She said. The warning was clear in her voice. I didn't care. So, I tried again.

"Just let me-" She cut me off again.

"No."

"But I-"

"No!" She said. Her voice was final. And she stormed off before I could argue anymore. I looked at the price. $43.95. That was actually pretty cheap for a pair of DC's. And I had more than enough.

"That finality can kiss my backside." I thought as I grabbed the shoes. She didn't want these for One Direction's concert. She wanted these because she's Nikki. And I know how she is. I knew she would be angry at me. But I didn't care. It would be worth it to see how happy she would be.

Besides, she couldn't stay mad at me for long.

I took the shoes up to the counter, and the woman ran the box over the little scanner thingy. She placed them in a bag, and put the bag on the counter in front of me.

"Your total is $46.59" She said happily. I handed her two twenties and a ten. "Your change is $3.41." Have a nice day." I stuffed the money in my pocket, and left. Stopping outside the store, I shoved the shoes in my Rue 21 bag, so Nikki couldn't see them. And then I went to go meet her at the bus stop.