Chapter Nineteen

Please excuse all errors. I didn't want to wait to get this out to you. Thank you for reading my story!
                             Hazel3

Heather rushed Verena into the medical wing in the McBain keep. Where we have been sitting outside of for hours. Waiting on word on how she is. Adair was to the side pacing back and forth. Very much the wolf he is. Roxy watched him as she clung to Argyll's hand. Her anger sparking the more she watched him. I watched as she stood and Argyll hold her tighter. Broden squeezed my leg in comfort catching my attention. I looked up into his face and all I could see was sympathy and understanding. It was a look given to those who you knew were about to loose someone. Heather stepped out a small smile on her face that had my worry washing away. "She's lost a lot of blood but she's stable. She needs rest and a lot of it." Roxy and I clasped each others hands in relief. She was going to be okay. "I must leave Heather if you are alright here. The queen must know what happened here." I watched as Costella stood from her seat. A small smile on her face. I must have looked confused because she turned to Roxy and I,With a understanding. "I openly welcome you into our world, and you must know and learn about it. I will gladly teach you but for now you must be patient." she went over and pulled Heather into a hug before all but flowing out of the room. Leaving behind a awed Roxy and I. In reality who wouldn't be awed by the women. "Can we see her?" Adair's voice filled the silent room. Heather nodded with a sad small smile. "Of course one at a time though."  I watched in wonder as Adair went down the hall being swallowed by the shadows. I followed close behind and stood outside the door. I looked behind me to see Broden his face set in a grim look. "I shouldn't have let this happen To
you." I peeked into the room to see Adair sitting next to Verena. Her unharmed hand in his. He moved her hair away from her face. he was being so gentle and tender with her. That was the point I realized what exactly was wrong with Adair. "Your her mate.." I have never seen anyone move so fast. Adair charged at me just as Broden moved to stand in front of me. Both men growled out a warning. I put a hand on Broden trying to calm him. Adair pointed my way not hiding his anger in the least. "You will tell no one." My eyes narrowed as I faced off with Adair. I stuck my finger in his chest and attempted to push him back. "I am not a wolf Adair you can't order me around. On that same note you should be lucky that Verena is your mate. She is a sweet person who would help anyone if they asked her. You crushed her with your words. If it wasn't for Blayne being there for her I don't know what would have happened." I watched as Adair's face hardened at my words. He clinched and unclinched his hands at his sides. He was pushing his wolf down as Broden tried pulling me away from him.  When he got his wolf under control. He glared my way and went to walk around me. His anger rolling off him in waves. "Its none of your business what I decided to do."
I out right laughed at him. Causing him to stop halfway down the hall. This was border line a joke. "You pushed her away. By calling her weak and was out right mean to her. What was the reason for it Adair? Because you were afraid? Or was it something else entirely? Why you would do it  shouldn't you two be happy. Shouldn't the two of you be together? Isn't the whole point of the mate is to help you with the madness to stop it with the love of each other?" Adair shook his head and faced me. A over whelming sense of sadness enveloped the room. "She was happy damn it! With my brother! I couldn't break my brother more than I already had! It doesn't matter about the madness! It had  crushed me to see her happy with anyone else but me, but don't you get it I had to do it?" the silence was over bearing as  Adair took deep breaths. no doubt trying to push back his wolf. I looked to Broden for some help. He reached his hand out to me and I clasped it in mine. He squeezed my hand in support. As I continued to talk to Adair.  Trying to convince him to take Verena as his mate. "She wont be now Adair and with him gone she'll need you more now then ever." I watched as he set his jaw in stubbornness. I knew then that he was going to step away from her. No amount of convincing was going to stop him from it. So I let the one man who could help save my friend from her own sadness walk away. Leaving me and Roxy to help her pick up the pieces of a lost love and a broken body. His steps echoed and I cried for my best friend. Broden wrapped me into a hug letting me cry into his shoulder. "So we are just going to let him walk away from her?" Roxy and Argyll stepped into the light Roxy's arms crossed over her chest her anger clear on her face as well as sadness. She let her arms drop to her side. Quickly coming to her own conclusion. Which was probably the same as mine. "It isn't fair to her. She's been through to much in a short amount of time. She deserves to be happy as much as us if not more so. She's to good a person to have to go through this." I couldn't agree more with Roxy I looked into the room and watched her for a moment. Verena deserved more than this. She deserved the happy ending that Roxy and I will have. Roxy came to stand by me. Each of us wrapping an arm around the other. "Its not going to ever be easy is it?" Roxy whispered into the darkened room. Her voice cracking with a mixture of sadness and anger. "No I don't think it ever will be."