.8

Emory Allen's POV

I had a diagnosis on Tanner Dawson.

The dictionary meaning of the word 'Diagnosis' is: the identification of the nature of an illness or other problem by examination of the symptoms.

In simpler terms, a doctor or therapist has the ability to come to an accurate diagnosis once they've examined the symptoms that the patient displays.

I had a diagnosis on Tanner Dawson.

My eyes followed the ceiling fan that was racing above my queen sized bed. It was 6 AM on Wednesday and I needed to start getting ready for work. The duvet was nearly pulled to my chin as I refused to move from the bed. It was too early for the sun to be out and therefore it was too early for me. Despite this truth, I needed to pull my game face on and start the day.

Pushing the heavy blankets off of my body, I rose and maneuvered around the clothing and shoes that were strewn around the hardwood floor. My room was a mess, it always got like this when the school year started. This year was different though, I thought about the girl that was constantly in my head. The silky brown hair that always looked so effortlessly flawless, the matching hazel eyes that reminded me of chestnut, and the perfect tan that shaded her skin. Dammit Emory.

I stepped over a shoe and walked into the master bathroom. I really needed to clean this place. Turning on the shower, I pulled out a towel and began my repetitive morning routine. As I let the water hit my face and shoulders, I thought back to yesterday during 6th period. My eyes were closed as I replayed the look that was deep in the girls eyes; she was broken, fragile and I felt bad for pushing her. I didn't know the depths of her problems, but maybe I shouldn't have questioned her so soon. I guess it really wasn't my fault, I was only doing my job - but for some reason witnessing her freak out and completely lose control was causing me personal pain.

After brushing my teeth and exiting the shower, I went back into my bedroom and found a simple knee length skirt with flowers and a light yellow top to match. I combed my hair and pulled half of it up into a bun allowing the rest to hang loose. Then I finally left the room and went directly to the coffee maker, I readied the machine and leaned against the counter as it brewed. Suddenly Benjamin crawled from his bed and rubbed his spotted body against my leg.

"Hey buddy," I leaned down pressing my palm to his smooth coat. He resembled a spotted cheetah and was honestly the love of my life. As I rubbed him, I remembered Tanner laughing and calling me a nerd for naming him a human name. She didn't know that this cat was much more than a pet to me, looking at him brought back memories that used to cause me pain. Thankfully time had been kind to me and healed the wounds of the past, now Benjamin only brought me joy.

The machine buzzed signaling that the brew was complete. I stood from rubbing the cat and poured the dark roast into my glass mug. It was already 7 and I needed to leave now in order to make it through the morning rush. My apartment was in the heart of Salt Lake City, maybe 30 minutes away from Woodlands. After three years of commuting back and forth everyday, it was beginning to take its toll on me.

I filled Benjamin's food and water before grabbing my purse, car keys and coffee. Taking the elevator down to the parking garage, I walked towards the white Chrysler 200 that sparkled even while under the dim light. Eventually I was driving towards Woodlands - I went over my schedule and realized that I was going to have to sub in for 7th period P.E for the next few weeks. The regular gym teacher had suffered a family crisis and took some time off. When the principal approached me to act as the temporary sub, I was a little confused until I realized why he had chosen me. One day during my first year of working there, I was running late to my boxing class and I decided to change into my gym clothes before leaving the school. The principle caught me at my car and we started chatting about my years of boxing and cycling. So basically it was my fault that he chose me to sub in.