56 ∞ still alive

Day Fifteen ∞ Friday morning

SELINA SAT ON THE EXTRUDED PILOT SEAT of the vessel, waiting in partial rest mode, re-energizing while lightly monitoring the activity outside with retrospection. Through the mental weariness, she reviewed what had transpired in the past few hours—and was satisfied.

Satisfied that she had given The One yet more time.

Satisfied that both Daughters were still safe.

But concerned about what The Second was occupying her self with.

She did not place immediate importance to it—that would have to be the focus of a later, less critical time.

Right now her focus was on the conclusion—the ocean—which was not yet in sight. She could extend her view, follow the path of the river, theorize which new tributaries lay ahead, which options lay on the horizon. She could analyze them while embracing the lessons she had learned, the strength she had gained with that knowledge. She was Aumega and she had won a battle without being roused.

How many battles would she have to face before it was time? Before the war was over?

It mattered not. When the destination was near she would know.

Mickmi placed a hand on Danny's arm as he looked in the rearview mirror for the umpteenth time, as he'd been doing on a daily basis for the past week.

"They follow not," she said. "They already know where we go."

He glanced at her. "Right." That was of no comfort. It simply meant the black Dodge Aspen following them probably already was camped out in the vicinity of his workplace.

The same men who'd installed monitoring devices in his house.

Even though Mickmi appeared unconcerned and kept reassuring him that they were not a threat, it was wearing on his nerves. Her daily, soothing warmth would take the edge off for a few hours, but it could not stop him from worrying. The weight of knowing that their day-to-day life existed on borrowed time was taking its toll.

At least he'd managed to get some sleep last night, despite yesterday's foreboding. Its intensity had subdued as quickly as it had started—as if an impending danger had been averted.

Like they'd received an extension.

He didn't understand it but trusted Mickmi's senses.

He pulled to a halt at a stoplight and grabbed her hand. "We'll get through this," he said, as much to her as to himself. He met her gaze and smiled encouragingly. "You'll get back your memory and you'll be able to move on. And I'll be with you every step of the way, I promise."

She smiled in return, but her eyes spoke of her knowing his unease.

They reached the auto shop in good time, and when Ray arrived, Mr. Myers called everybody to a meeting.

"Boys... Miss Mickmi..." He gave her a nod. "The shop will close early today to facilitate us working at... supporting our very own – Debbie – Myers – at the Miss Lake Eufaula Beauty Pageant!"

Nathan and Ray whooped, Jason clapped his hands and everyone laughed.

"Lunch time?" Aaron asked, grinning.

"Yes, we close at lunchtime." Mr. Myers lifted his hand to show the envelopes he was holding. "I don't expect much traffic here today. But even if there is, they're going to have to wait till Monday," he added as he handed them out one by one to the boys.