Chapter 44

We left early in the morning while Ben was still fast asleep. I hope he didn't mind.

And the morning came with the rise of the sun, my father getting in his car for work. I didn't think he had even known his car had been missing. There wasn't a scratch nor evidence that Harry had been there, nor even me for that matter. We left no trace beside the faint smell of Harry's cologne. He could easy brush it off like it was nothing. Even the keys were returned to the same place where he had left them. And I think he did, my father.

Harry walked home, and I felt bad. I honestly didn't know how he had managed to made it back to his neighborhood in such freezing weather. I would've turned into a popsicle, I know for certain. And the walk was much farther than Ben's. About twenty minutes farther, in fact. He told me that when he had gotten home. And it was below freezing, now that I did know. He told me to get my license so I could drive over to his house some time. I told him the thought was tempting.

At school the following Monday there were posters everywhere, along with banners and ribbon. The colors yellow and red invaded everything, from the egg white walls, all the way up to the boring grey lockers.

And first period was boring, considering I had lab. I would have rathered an inside game of soccer in P.E.; at least Harry was there. But no matter, because I managed.

To my utmost surprise Ben was in class, a sandwich is his left hand and a pencil in his right. When he saw me he out his pencil down and patted the back of the chair. I took the seat next to him, my elbow resting on the desk as my chin sat in my hand.

"What the hell are you doing here?" I asked. "You should be at home, your body lost in the coach and scarfing down bags of doughnut holes or something."

"I don't feel any pain," he said. "As long as I'm careful I don't feel any pain."

"School can wait, your safety comes first." I said, kiddingly bumping my fist to his arm.

"But I don't wait to miss it," he said with a laugh. "Can't you feel it? The last football game of the year, we're in the damn championships for crying out loud. The cheap decorations, the skimpy cheerleader costumes, free flyers that double as note paper if you flip it over. I never got my notebook, did you know? And you can almost smell the mixture of adenine and post-game sex if you try hard enough."

"Peculiar mind, Mr. Cunningham." I laughed. "But if the only reason you came to school today is so you could get some, then I hope you aren't a stranger to letdowns."

"Oh, I'm not, Miss Patterson." He said.

"And why a Monday of all days?" I asked. "Like what kind of mindless decision is that?"

"They were supposed to have it yesterday, but as you may be able to understand it was a wash out." He said. "But they said the fields are better, and the players have been over-pumped since Saturday. So they said heck with weekends and called it Monday."

"I see," I said. "So I guess you'll be attending, huh?"

"The game? Hell yeah."

"You're a trooper in this weather," I said. "But I suppose if you're paying attention to the game then you don't really notice."

"Who pays attention to the game?" He asked.

I only laugh.

"You should come," he said. "Drag Harry along, get him into football. Maybe you a future Football Pro on your hands."

"Football Pro?" I laughed. "I think it's a bit too late for that, don't you think? And as for the game? I'll ask. I can't be certain he'll say yes. But he might not say no, so you never know."

"If he doesn't want to go you can just tag along with me," he said. "I'm not really going with anybody else."

"Of course," I said. "Homeroom is for homework, anyway."

At lunch, I get a sandwich for myself and one for Harry as well.

"You wanna go tonight?" I ask, sitting down across from him at the table.

He then raised his head, as well as an eyebrow.

"I wanna go?" He asked. "As in?"

"The last game of the season," I said, throwing him the folded-up flyer. "It's tonight. We should go."

Harry laughed. "You kidding? Why the fuck should we waste our time surrounded by these Jock wannabes? Plus it's below freezing, hell, you'll freeze your ass off."

"Ben invited both you and I. I thought it would be rude to turn him down, you know? Plus it'll fun. Trust me, after you go to this one you'll probably be sad you didn't go to the others." By the end I laughed. Harry only gave me a face.

"You didn't even go to the others." He said.

"I know. But it'll be fun."

"Fine," Harry sighed. "But only for Benny. You know. The little god-damn angel."

And the day came and went, along with a bunch of rowdy guys blocking the main hallway and an appearance of the school mascot on the way out of the building; Doug the Dragon.

As night dawned even closer Harry picked me up, as well as Ben, and we went out for dinner. Burgers and fries, it wall all very simple. But nonetheless it was fun with the stories Harry and Ben were willing to tell.

The stands were packed, dismally. And only as we began to pile in did I realize how bad of an idea the whole thing kind of was; guys had their shirts off and girls almost the same. And it was maybe a few degrees above freezing, give or take.

We found a decent spot behind an older couple. They had colorful necklaces adoring their necks and red and orange felt scarfs and knit pairs of gloves. Supportive. Parents of a player, I would say.

And then I spotted him. At first I was uncertain, but it was definitely him. He was sitting on the sidelines, Sawyer, his slumped body in the grass. Empty cups were in his hands, a giant water dispenser by his side.

"Waterboy?" I mumbled.

"What's that?" Harry asked, turning to look at me.

"Nothing." I spoke, my breath showing as I let out a breath.

"You okay?" He asked. "Want my jacket or something? A double jacket? Can't go wrong with a double jacket. Although it may be bulky around the waist and arms and everywhere else."

"No," I said. "I'm good. This jacket is actually pretty toasty, if I say so myself. A pretty decent buy."

"Okay." He says with a nod. "Just checking."

And then he grabs my hand.

"If you're comfortable then I'm comfortable," he adds.

"Yo Harry," A voice called from behind us.

We both turned around, coming almost face to face with Mikey. I know Harry had stayed away from the guy and his other friends during school hours, considering Harry never really talked to him. After hours, I have no idea. I had never thought to ask.

Drunk, high, or both, Mikey's eyes were blood shot and his stance was crooked. His breath also reaked.

"Hey Mikey," Harry said, pulling me closer to him. "Didn't really expect to see you here. But now that I think about it, it doesn't really surprise me."

"The fuck you've been Styles?" He asked, leaning against one of the red-brick walls. "Feels like I haven't seen you in ages. What happened to P.E.?"

"Me and Harley decided to join the group in the gym playing indoor soccer. You must've just stuck to Football. You know, considering we had choices."

Mikey then looked over at me, shooting me a smile. "Nameless girl." He slurred. "That's her, nameless girl."

"What do you mean?" I asked, adding a small laugh. "You know who I am. We've met more than once."

"Oh, I know who you are. I know. But he didn't. He knew your face. Just not your name."

I laughed, "Mikey, seriously, who are you even-"

"The nameless girl. Sawyer's nameless girl." Another one said.