Chapter 1

HOPE POV

I was tapping my foot restlessly against the bottom floor of Stiles jeep. My teeth gently nibbling against the bed of my fingernails as I stared out at the trees passing us.

Stiles glanced at me through the rearview mirror, his eyebrow slightly raised. Scott sat next to him in the passengers seat, he was as fidgety as I was. His fingers seemed like they couldn't stop tapping against his thighs, humming loudly to a song I'm guessing was running through his head.

Stiles looked between Scott and I a few times before finally letting out a loud, over exaggerated sigh.

"Oh my god, could you two be anymore annoying!" Stiles practically yelled, startling both Scott and I.

"Sorry."

"My bad."

Scott and I both mumbled at the same time, looking forward as we began to pull up to school. Stiles quickly found a parking spot, breaking quite hard before we all got out.

Scott and I walked ahead of Stiles as he ran behind us, trying to squeeze in between us.

"Okay, what is wrong with you two?" Scott and I both gave him a confused look.

"Okay no, don't give me that look. I'm not an idiot. Hope over here probably doesn't have any nail left on her fingers and you," he said looking towards Scott, "basically have a hole in your pants from beating the crap out of them with your hands."

Scott sighed and I self consciously pulled my finger from my mouth, not realising I was still bitting them. That probably isn't healthy at all so I just began chipping off the dark blue nail polish as we walked through the double doors of the school.

Scott tightened his grip against his ridiculously heavy backpack. He must've been carrying 10 books in there because it looked like it could bust open any minute.

"I'm just nervous this year. My grades weren't all that great last year and I'm really hoping no one tries to kill us this year because that would be, like you know, great and stuff."

I looked up to see that we were already walking into class, taking our seats towards the middle of the class. Scott sat in front of me while Stiles sat across from me on my right side.

Scott leaned back, his head practically taking up my whole desk. I absent mindedly ran my fingers through his hair, listening to him as he talked.

"I just really want to pass senior year so I can graduate and get out of this damn town, go onto better things you know?" He mumbled with his eyes closed while my fingers lightly massaged his scalp.

Stiles nodded his head in agreement.

"Yeah I think a year or two without being hunted, sacrificed or killed would be great." We all chuckled at the thought.

Hopefully this year would be an easy year. For once I just want to worry about exams and pop quizzes, not alpha packs, kanimas and deadpools. I just want a nice, calm, drama free year.

"And you?" Stiles asked me. Scott kept his head down, eyes still closed.

"What do you mean?" I questioned.

Stiles rolled his eyes then looked around to make sure no one was listening.

"You know what I mean Hope, you've been acting strange all summer." He whispered leaning closer to me, starring at me with those big brown eyes.

Scott nodded his head. "Its true you have." He mumbled. He finally sat up and turned to face me, his eyes filled with worry.

"I'm really worried about you Hope. I know you and I know you're probably going to keep whatever is going on with you to yourself and it's going to end up blowing up sooner or later but we're here for you. Stiles and I, we just care for you, a lot." Scott whispered. The class began to fill up as the time came closer and closer to first period starting.

"Seriously Hope. What's going on?" I looked between the two boys, my nerves getting the best of me as I once against began to chip away at my painted nails.

I didn't even notice how strange I must have been acting. I thought I was doing a good job at trying to hide it but these boys know me too well. It's not that I don't want to tell them. I know I can tell them anything, I just don't know how to explain it myself.

I was about to say something after I had sat there for a couple seconds, trying to figure out what to tell them, when the bell rang signalling the beginning of first period. We all looked forward as the last of the student came walking in followed by our teacher.

With only a glance to each other we all turned to face the front of the class, ready to get the day over with as quickly as possible.

I put my hands in front of me, twirling a pencil between my fingers. I wasn't paying attention to anything the teacher was saying, i was more concentrated on my own hands.

Especially a certain part of my hand. My palm was completely unscathed when in reality there should have been a very deep, very long scar. It happened three months ago, a week after school had ended.

I was at home, preparing dinner when I accidently sliced open my palm trying to cut open an onion. It was a deep cut and blood ended up spilling everywhere.

Luckily I was chopping next to the sink so I immediately turned on the water and rinsed my hand. I began to slightly panic as I realised I was home alone and thoughts of losing to much blood and passing out crept into my head.

I turned the water off and immediately grabbed a hand rag covering my wound. I took my keys off the hook and raced to the hospital hoping I didn't pass out from blood loss on the way.

I made my way into the emergency room and a nurse took me in as soon as I told her what had happened. She took me to a small room and removed the cloth, only to reveal that there was no cut at all.

She examined my woundless hand as I sat there in shock.

To this day so many weird things have happened to me and I have absolutely no explanation for them. Bruise after bruise and cut after cut they all seem to appear on my body then heal the second I get them.

I've been so quiet lately about it I guess I made it a bit too noticeable that something was wrong. Something is wrong with me, and I have no idea what it is.