|Parent Pressure|

*For _gtfobea*

Writing Prompt:

Writing Prompt:

8 - "Just pretend to be my date."

Y/N rolled her eyes as her mother continued to ramble about her brother's wedding, poking at her food with her fork and refusing to look up at the older woman. She loved her mother, and she was thrilled that her brother was finally getting married, but did her mother have to mention that fact that he was the one getting married and she wasn't?

"Your brother wants lilies, but roses look much better in my opinion for a wedding." Her mother said, shrugging casually.

Y/N rolled her eyes. "Well, Mom, generally the bride and the groom are the ones to pick out the flowers. You know, considering it's their wedding."

Y/N's mother rolled her eyes. "There's no need to be smart, I'm just talking." She shrugged. "Which ones do you like better?"

"I don't know. I've always liked lilacs." Y/N shrugged, sipping on her water.

"Lilacs would be beautiful for a wedding. Let's just hope your fiancé agrees. When you get one anyway."

Y/N's fist clenched around her fork and she inhaled slowly, trying to keep her cool. "It's not like there's any rush, mom. I'm 25."

"Oh, I know. There's plenty of time to find someone before your 30." Her mother said, and Y/N rolled her eyes.

"I didn't realize there was a time limit."

"There's no limit! But I do expect grandkids before I die and I'm not getting any younger-"

Y/N slammed her fork down against her plate, nearly cracking it as she looked up into her mother's eyes and blurted, "I have a boyfriend."

Her mother's eyebrows shot up and Y/N immediately panicked. Crap, crap, crap.

"You do?" Her mother questioned, making her swallow as she quickly tried to compose herself.

"Yes." Y/N said, trying not to look as nervous as she felt. "I do."

"Well, this is new." Her mother smiled, folding her hands and placing them on top of the table. "Who is he?"

Y/N raised her eyebrows. "Uh," She looked around, trying to think of someone she could say that wouldn't make her look like a total idiot, even though she felt like one. She opened her mouth to speak when her phone buzzed and she looked down, her best friend's name appearing on the screen.

She looked up at her mother and raised her chin confidently. "Barry." She answered quickly. "My boyfriend is Barry."

Yeah, you wish. She thought to herself. It was no secret she had a crush on her best friend. Everyone seemed to know it but him.