Chapter 6

Assyria Brooks

It didn't feel the same walking through the hallway without Noah. Normally he's always begging for food, or I'd see him being a hoe.

"Whoa, hold up for a second babygirl." Marcus says, grabbing my arm forcing me to turn around to look at him. You would think after getting beat the fuck up he would stop trying to get my number but the boy is consistent.

I folded my arms over my chest, waiting for him to speak so I can go about my day. "I want your number. You don't think I deserve it?" He says, and I looked at his face that had a few minor bruises and smirked to myself. "Let me see your phone." I said, and he reached in his pocket and gave it to me, watching me put my number in.

"Don't be texting me all hours of the day." I said to him once I gave his phone back. "Yeah, I got it." He said, turning to walk away and I continued my journey to class.

*

I was laying in bed on the phone eating a full course meal Mom made before she left and went to meet up with my aunt Jada. "I feel like I haven't saw you in a while." I said, pouting as if she could see me.

"It's only been two days. Stop being dramatic." She responded.

"Come get me." I said, cutting my steak up and adding A1 sauce. "I can't. My car in the shop." She said.

"You drive too don't you? Slide over here, and bring me some of whatever you eating." She said.

"How you know I'm eating?" I asked, popping a piece of steak into my mouth. "Because you smacking extra loud. What the fuck are you eating anyway?" She laughs.

"Steak, fried potatoes, and salad. Shits fire." I said, eating a spoonful of potatoes.

"Dakota? Where you at?" I heard a man say in the background. "Where else would I be, dad?" She asks in a dry tone. "Call me when you outside." Dakota says to me before hanging up.

I tossed my phone onto the opposite side of the bed and finished off my food before taking the plates to the kitchen and washing them off. On my way back up the stairs I noticed Ma doing something to the door.

"What are you doing?" I asked, watching her take the doorknob off using a screwdriver and a few other tools. "I'm being petty since Dom's dumb ass wanna play and shit." She says, dropping the doorknob on the floor and going into their bedroom.

I followed behind her, finding this situation hilarious because every time they got into it, she does something petty just to make mom mad. "Did you need something?" She asked, proceeding to take the door off it's hinges.

"Can I go over Dakota's house?" I asked causing her to look up at me. "I guess you can." She responded and I smiled before kissing her cheek.

After showering and making Dakota a plate, I was headed over to her place. It wasn't that long of a drive, and I ended up getting there in twenty minutes. I took my phone from my pocket and dialed her number, waiting for her to pick up.

The locks turned and the door was pulled open by Dakota. She gave a smile and took the plate that was wrapped in foil from me and went into the kitchen with me trailing behind her.

"What's wrong?" I asked, noticing how down she seemed. Instead of responding, she stared at me like I was supposed to guess what was wrong. "My dad just stressed me out. I'm coo tho." She finally says. "You look like you need a hug. Come here." I cooed and she smiled, wrapping her arms around me and hugging me tightly.

She smelled so good and gave better hugs than Ma. A few more seconds went by and she finally let go. "Lemme see what this plate looking like," she says, removing the foil from the plate and looking it over. "You made this?" She asked while scraping the salad onto a different plate and putting the plate with the steak and potatoes in the microwave.