C H A P T E R 25

Chapter 25: The Heels of Doug

══════

   "Why aren't you in the wheelchair?" May questioned while placing her hands on her hips.

   I gingerly walked a few steps and groaned at the scowl on her face, "I'm fine. You've dealt with worse than this and so have I... I can handle it." Taking a deep breath, I straightened up my posture as best as I could.

   "That's true, but you've never felt someone die before," May argued her tone dropping.

   "You're right, I haven't... and I'm pretty sure it won't be last time. Besides Charles is the priority. My team needs me, so I'm here."

   Her eyes pinned me where I stood, almost as if she was trying to read me for any signs of uneasiness (which I knew she wouldn't find). She gave me a respectful nod before turning around to walk back to the group.

   From her position at the center of the room, Daisy directed the other agents to move tables and blocks around the room.

   "Deciding to redecorate or—" I asked as my eyes darted around the room to see the setup.

   Her gaze didn't budge. The line in between her brows deepened as she thought intensely, "Funny. I'm trying to re-create the control room, to help get May prepared."

   I nodded my head and turned forward to see Fitz and lincoln positioning a training mat diagonally. I titled my head as I recalled the room in question, "Wait, wasn't there a bank of servers on the left side there?"

   Daisy's eyes followed where my finger pointed. She nodded and directed Lincoln to move a table in that direction. She gave me a soft smile in thanks before turner her attention back to the group. I helped her with a few minor details before the makeshift room was formed.

---

   Both Daisy and I let out a tiny groan when the mock fight scene wasn't playing outright. I clicked the small circular button to stop the time from ticking on the stopwatch.

   "No Fitz, you're supposed to come in after—" Daisy interrupted a little agitated, "What's your name again?"

   Doug wiped a small bead of sweat that trickled down his forehead before answering her in a mumbled tone, "Doug."

   She snapped her fingers at the realization, "Doug. You're supposed to come in on the heels of Doug."

   With a muttered "Okay" he pushed himself off of the ground. I fiddled with the small stopwatch as Lincoln walked past me, "Um, and Lincoln... I'll just give you a separate cue to come in." I instructed.

   He gave me a small nod while everyone reset to their designated positions. Coulson walked into the room with a look of amusement on his face. He came to stand next to me and I gave him an easy smile.

   "Here." I offered up the stopwatch, "Start it when she opens the door."

   Phil glanced over at May and she raised her eyebrows while letting out a heavy breath. She swung the door closed as she left the room. With a steady hand, I lightly placed it on the part of my shirt that covered my wound. A vision of Charles's bloody body lying beside Daisy unexpectedly reappeared in my mind.

   I grimaced, my eyes squinting shut to try a rid myself of the horrid vision. When it faded away I took a shallow breath and looked up to see May busting through the green metal doors and rushing in. With a swift click of the stopwatch Coulson, Daisy, and I began to watch.