Rhiannon: Chapter 9

CARLA'S VIEW

Krystal soon fell asleep on the sofa, I put a cover over her and went into my room to get my shoes. I put them on and grabbed a jacket on the way out, I closed the door and ran down the two flights of stairs and out of the estate. My phone buzzed and I looked at the screen to see I had a new message.

Make sure you're at your flat with my money Carla.

S.

I sighed and thought long and hard about what I was doing, I left Krystal in my flat on purpose. I didn't have all of his money and I knew what he would do if he came there and I didn't have it. I felt guilty but its every man for themselves. I carried on running until I got to the bus stop and waited 5 minutes for a bus. I decided to go and visit Vanessa if she was still living at the same address, it had been years since I'd seen her. Everything fell apart for everyone, almost as though Melissa and Omar's death triggered a curse over everyone. I got off once I got to my stop and walked to her door and knocked for a while. A girl with black hair to her mid back and a caramel complexion opened the door, she looked like she was 14/15.

'Hello?' She said.

'I'm looking for Vanessa but I think I've got the wrong-'

'No she's here, erm name?'

'Carla.' She scrutinized me for a while but then my eyes grew wide once I realised who she was. Shit had she grown, she looked like Vanessa and scarily enough a bit just a tiny bit like someone else.

'Amelle! Is that you?' I said and looked at her in shock, she raised her eyebrow. She really didn't remember me?

'Its me... your Auntie Carla, remember?' I said to her, she smiled and jumped on me hugging me tightly.

'Oh my gosh! I haven't seen you in years, where have you been?'

'Busy with work, I thought your mum moved away or something.' I lied. She shook her head and let me in then called up the stairs for Vanessa. Amelle led me into the front room and we both sat down, she'd grown up so much from since I last saw her. Vanessa walked into the room screwing, looking as though she'd been crying. She looked at me and her expression changed to being blank.

'You decide to visit then yeah?' Vanessa said and screwed me.

'I've been busy.'

'Doing what?' She looked at Amelle for her to leave the room and I heard her footsteps going upstairs. Vanessa closed the door and sat down on the other sofa.

'Are you still involved in all that prostitution shit?'

'Its the only way I can get-'

'Bullshit. You know you can be doing so much better, why did you drop out of uni Carla? You were doing well!'

'So? College isn't for me.'

'And selling your body is? You make me sick. Mum left us alone after Omar died and I tried my hardest to protect you and you turn into a hoe!'

'YOU CAN TALK!' I shouted back at her, she silenced. I'm sick of her judging me like she has a right to, like she didn't sleep around and had no idea who her baby daddy was.

'I bet you still don't know who Amelle's dad is because you and I both know it isn't Trey.' She sighed and ran her fingers through her hair.

'Yeah you're right, it's not Trey. It's Cameron.' My mouth dropped and she looked as though she was gonna burst out in tears any minute now. I wasn't going to comfort her, comfort her for her own mistakes? I don't think so.

'Does Amelle know?' We both jumped when we heard the front door slam shut and Vanessa kissed her teeth.

'Now she does! Its not like I knew the whole time that Trey wasn't her dad.'