Chapter Thirteen.

Chapter Thirteen

Abigail:

It was quiet in the car as my dad drove me to school. Today is my birthday, I’m sixteen now, but I didn’t feel any older than fifteen. Today didn’t feel special at all; it just felt like any other day. My dad drove into the parking lot of the school and went over to the curb and when I got out, my dad stopped me.

“Wait,” he said and I leaned down to look in the car.

“After your chores tonight, get dressed and make sure it’s nice. We’re going out for a family dinner.” I stared at him with my eyes wide. Did he just say we’re going out to eat tonight? We never go out to eat and more to my surprise, going out to eat on my birthday. That’s very…strange.

“Go, now,” he said. “It’s twenty-five degrees out and you’re letting in the cold air.” I just nodded and closed the door.

As I walked towards the school building, the thought of going out to dinner quickly got cut off when I realized almost everyone was looking at me. I raised an eyebrow and looked down at myself to see if I had anything on me. I didn’t. Sneakily, I pulled my shirt up to my nose to see if I smelled. I didn’t. Why are they staring?

I walked into the building and when I was half way in, I heard a voice. “Hey beautiful,” I heard next to me and turned my head to see a grinning Scott. I smiled and hugged his waist. I was surprised at how quickly I forgot things when it came to being around him. He put one arm around me and hugged me tightly, making me wince since I had a bruise on my right side, so I had to put a hand on his chest and step back.

He quickly pecked me on the lips and I had to turn my face a little and look at the floor when I blushed. I tried hard not to smile. Kissing was still new to me and I was still pretty shy about it. I hate how Scott can make butterflies flutter around my stomach. As hard as I tried to ignore it, I can’t seem to want to be away from Scott. It’s like some kind of rope pulling me back towards him. I like him. There’s no doubt about it, I guess. I played with the button of the hoodie I was wearing and Scot took one of my hands and entwined our fingers.

I looked up at him and he gave me a warm smile. “Come on. Let’s get this day over with.” How badly I wanted to tell him that I wished that we could be in school all day so I could be with him and not with my family.

“So, how was your weekend?” he asked and I frowned, shrugging casually. Dad got drunk, beat me for no reason, and went to bed. My eyes watered up, but I quickly blinked them away.

“I didn’t do anything either, just hung out with the family and had to deal with Shay’s consistent moping about Victoria. But oh! We did go to this dinner a couple a miles away out of town, it had karaoke there and it was amazing. What’s your favorite song?” he asked. I looked up at him confused and shrugged. I don’t really listen to music, but I would have to say I like Nickelback.

"Mine is Evanescence’s song Everybody Fool’s. Amy Lee's one badass chick in that song. It's about pretending to be something you’re not. It’s very true. I mean, it’s about someone who has tons of secrets, but then no one will ever know but this one person. Would you like to listen to it?” he asked and I stared at him, a heavy weight building on my chest. What is he trying to get at? Did…did Skyler, Hailey, and Tristan tell him? Crap, I forgot all about that!