Chapter 2 ~ Abby

I stood in front of Uncle Harvey's door mid morning, hair tied up, jeans and a t-shirt under a sweatshirt. My shoes were in my bag as I stood there in just my socks because I just was not in the mood for shoes and it was going to be easier to clean this way. My index finger pointed out, grinning I stood there poking the door bell repeatedly till my uncle was in the doorway not wearing a matching smirk.

"You're lucky that you're my favorite niece."

"I'm you're only niece," I responded at this he took me into a big hug, hugging him back I walked into his house.

There were boxes everywhere, the pictures that were usually all over the house were gone.

"Is Aunt Lea already at the new house?"

Uncle Harvey nodded his head as he started up the stairs and I followed.

"She and the boys went ahead to start painting while there wasn't furniture."

"So they get the easier job."

He laughed and pulled down the door for the attic.

"If it's as bad as I think it is, I am going to finish tomorrow I already promised to have a girl's night tonight."

He nodded his head and we got up into the attic which he had finished the floor so he could use the floors. At one point he had every intention to turn the attic into another room, but halfway through the project he got side tracked, very much like he usually did. Throughout the space there were boxes upon boxes, as the occasional Christmas decoration peeping over the cardboard. What had I gotten myself into?

"That better be awesome coffee you are making."

Uncle Harvey laughed and kissed the top of my head, "If you find clothes put in one pile, decorations in another, items in another, but if you see something you don't recognize what it is make a throw away pile. I'll go make some while you get started."

Sighing I wondered where to even start. Taking a step to the closest box to me pulled apart the flaps to see some clothes, boy clothes. I tried to pick it up but it was too heavy, so I pushed it till it fell down the hole and onto the floor of the floor below me.

"Abby! Abby are you okay," Uncle Harvey yelled up with heavy foot steps on the stairs.

I peaked out of the hole at him, "The box was too heavy to pick up so I threw it down."

"Don't scare me like that. Anything happens to you your parents will kill me."

Groaning I responded, "I'm never going to hear the end of that."

I went back up over to another box and pushed a couple more out of the attic before climbing down myself. Opening up the other boxes I started to sort them into different piles. By this point my uncle brought up two mugs of coffee and handed me one.

"If you like any of your aunt's old clothes don't be afraid to take it, we're just going to donate the clothes anyway."

"Thanks," I answered knowing her clothes were not going to fit.

I took a big gulp of the coffee then put the mug on a step of the attic as a make shift shelf. The clothes smelt of dust and musty, I hoped my uncle would at least wash all the clothes before donating them. The next item I picked up was an old sweatshirt that belonged to my older cousin, he and Josh had tied up his younger brother with it. I smiled at the memory I was so little and was laughing in the corner. I was half tempted to keep the sweatshirt, so I tied the thing around my waist before moving on. After a couple more boxes that I pushed down I started to sneeze a little and had to take a break in the bathroom to blow my nose.