CHAPTER 16

Half an hour later Zach or Neo as Verin insisted on calling him had managed to piggyback off of one of the twenty-three scrying's Lord Shan had spying on the perimeters of their palace.

XRenia leaned forward in her hastily crafted throne as Neo pulled his hands apart forming a scrying.

The domed throne room of the Lord Shan came into view.

"Look!" Verin exclaimed pointing at the center of the scrying.

Lord Shan sat on his throne his shoulders slouched his head drooping and in his left hand he held the glistening jewelbox he had offered to XRenia earlier that day. Every few seconds he would open the box with his thumb revealing the ring that they were after then let the lid drop closed again.

Neo very slowly zoom the scrying in.

XRenia stood up and walked to she was an arms length from the scrying. "I could easily yank the ring out of the case when he opens it but I can't possibly open a portal in there."

"His security is some of the best I've ever seen. I believe you will need to manipulate the ring to the very edge of the city before you can effectively retrieve it." Neo cautiously moved the scrying so that the entrance of the dome was in view. "You also only have one shot at this. Once I'm discovered they will no doubt install countermeasures to prevent me from doing this again."

"So I will need to wait until the door opens then fling the ring through it and guided to the edge of the city?"

Neo nodded.

They waited for what seemed like ages as Lord Shan lifelessly flipped open the case and closed it again and again.

Verin sighed and plopped himself on the arm of XRenia's throne. "Well this could take forever, especially since mopey Shan doesn't look like he's in any mood to be taking visitors."

XRenia resisted the temptation to sit down herself, but she was also already becoming very bored of this. "What if Verin just blasted the doors open?"

Neo shook his head. "That would not be wise. The magical distortion may cause my unstable scrying to collapse or trigger other security measures."

"My lord the kitchens have prepared your favorite meal." A male's voice said from off to the side of the view of the scrying.

XRenia's heart pounded in her throat, they were going to lose their chance.

"Maybe he'll go out the front door." Verin said hopefully.

"Not likely. And even if he does he'll most likely put it away before he goes."

"You may need to force it like you suggested. Or we could wait and try again later," Neo offered.

"Force it." XRenia decided bringing her right hand up and waving to Verin with other.

Verin moved up beside her. "When he stands?"

She nodded.

But Shan didn't move.

"My Lord you have barely moved for four hours, you must eat." The offscreen male voice urged.

Shan raised his head and looked in the direction of the voice his eyes forlorn. "What's the use? The love of my life has found another man. And without her all I have done is for not."

"Wow. He's actually heartbroken. Now that's just creepy," Verin exclaimed.

It was, but somehow it also was endearing, XRenia thought.