Mo(th/nst)er

Home. For some people, it was the place to relax. For her, it was the place where the greatest terror of the day started. Dropping her bag, she sunk down into her chair, already knowing it would be a struggle to get up again.
She tried to block the crying that came from the nursery out of her head, but although it drove her crazy, she could not bring herself to go there and do something about it, scared to enter the room and see the chaos that resided in there.

She had not slept for a long time. Not because of the crying. It were the voices in her head that kept her awake at night. They were hypnotizing, summing up all her problems. How her husband left her once he found out she was pregnant, how she could not even pay her bills, let alone that she could afford day-care.
But the most terrifying things they whispered in her ears were the ones telling her how close the solution was.

Slowly, she got up. Coffee. She needed coffee now. Like a robot, she made herself some and opened a drawer, looking for a spoon, but when the glistening of a kitchen knife caught her eye, she rammed it shut. The thought that had just crossed her mind was insane.
"Not insane", the voices said. "Just the only way out."
Is it? Were they right after all? The crying echoëd in her head, and at once she knew she could not go on like this.
Hesitantly, she opened the drawer again, and when her fingers touched the cold metal, her mind went blank

The first thing that came back to her was the silence. The crying had stopped.

The second thing she noticed was the blood on her hands.