Chapter 44

(A/N: Italicized paragraph is a flashback! Just in case you are a little confused by it! :) Enjoy!)

Belong – Cary Brothers

____________

I stare at the screen for the first few rings. His name flashing across the screen, I feel like I'm frozen in time. All I can do is stare the screen, feeling my finger hover over the answer button. My finger slowly descends onto the green button and I slowly bring it to my ear.

"Hello?" I answer my phone quietly, almost in a scared whisper. My eyes are glued to the ground as I take slow breathes so I don't pass out.

"Julie, thank God I got a hold of you." His voice rings through the phone. A voice I thought I would never hear again. His voice sends pains through my chest and deepens the wounds Zayn had just caused.

I look up at the ceiling with desperation – hoping that in the midst of Zayn and I fighting I had passed out from all the emotional drainage. Hoping that he wasn't on the other line, but no such luck.

"Julie?" His voice rings. Julie... he always called me that, just like how Zayn always calls me Juliet. I clear my throat and close my eyes – trying to bring myself back to the real world.

"Yeah, I'm here." I say quietly in a monotone voice. I stare out the small window of the dorm now. I can't figure out what to do with myself. I want more than anything to hang up the phone and chase after Zayn. Anything to get away from this phone call right now.

But my head is filling with thoughts that it's overwhelming. Did Zayn leave? Was he waiting for me to chase after him? Should I chase after him? Should I hear this conversation out or hang up? What did he want? Why was he calling? My body feels numb as I stand, zoning out as I stare out the window.

"Hey, I'm really glad you answered... listen I know we haven't talked since – well since all that happened." He mumbles the last part. "I was hoping we could meet up, to talk. I didn't get a chance to catch you at Sarah's birthday last week." He explains. Every word he speaks, every time I hear his voice I feel my heart cracking, hurting.

"Yeah." I reply quietly, I have no idea why I had just agreed to see him, to talk... but I did. I wanted to hit my head against the wall but I couldn't think clearly – I could barely comprehend that this was actually happening.

"Great." His voice is excited and relieved at my answer I wasn't fully aware that I had given. I needed Sarah right now, I was beginning to feel unstable, my emotions and thoughts too much. "How about I meet you at Starbucks near CU, I'll be there town tomorrow morning."

I can hardly hear his words, I can hardly fully understand them. All I can do is stare at the window, the clear glass that is reflecting the set sun. The sky has barely any light left in it as it begins to get darker with every passing second.

Tomorrow morning? He was going to be here tomorrow morning? I feel like the floor was being ripped out from under me. I was free-falling into a chasm of confusion.

"Julie?" I don't answer for a moment. I'm still processing that he's on the line, that he's calling me. This was the first time he's tried to get in contact with me since everything.

"Yeah, see you there." I mumble. "Bye." I finish before hanging up, I didn't want to stay on the phone any longer than needed. I had to sort through things. I glance at the door to the dorm and it's closed tightly. Zayn hadn't come back and I don't think he was going to – at least tonight.

Should I try calling Zayn? My head hurt form the idea of fighting with Zayn again. The emotional rollercoaster he has put me through was not going to help anything that was going on right now.