Polybotes Gets Smacked By A UFO

I knew this was coming. "Athena, cover the border!" I shouted and the Athena cabin raced over to help Peleus defend the Golden Fleece from Gaea's attack. I sent a few Amazons after them to strengthen the defense line.

Percy jogged over. "Where's Polybotes?"

"What?"

"Polybotes. He's here. Gaea sent him because she knew I would be here." He pointed to the bottom of the hill where a giant thundered up the mound of dirt and grass.

"How did I not notice that?" I stared at the bane of Poseidon in wonder.

"Yo no sé. Don't ask where the Spanish came from. I'll get him, you help the campers destroy the monsters to at least decrease Gaea's army a bit." Percy pulled out Riptide and Oblivion before bouncing backwards to fight Polybotes.

"Percy?" I called after him. He turned.

"Yeah?"

"You know you're a god now, right? You can't defeat him by yourself. You need a demigod to help you." He frowned.

"Oh yeah . . ." He gave me a knowing look and I answered his unasked question.

"Hylla, you're in charge of the Amazons for now. I've got to go kill a giant." I pulled my dagger out of its sheath on my belt, and together, Percy and I charged the giant.

Polybotes didn't know what hit him. Literally, something from the crowd of warriors flew high in the air and smacked him in the face. I had no idea what it was since he crushed it to dust after he regained his balance.

Percy and I reached the bane of Poseidon and stabbed our weapons into his legs. My dagger was the size of a toothpick to him, but it still caused damage. He roared in pain at our combined blades and golden ichor flowed from multiple cuts.

Percy climbed Polybotes' legs until he reached his head and started bashing it with the hilts of his swords. Blackjack landed near me and I hopped on his back. I took Percy's place while he flew around on Blackjack and shot bolts of energy and balls of fire at the giant.

Polybotes tried to swat him out of the air as if he were an annoying fly, but Blackjack was too quick to be caught. He settled for trying to grab me off of his head. When that failed, he noticed the lake and reached his hand into it, cupping some of the water in his palm. It turned a poisonous green and he raised his hand to dump it over me. I flipped off of his head and used his hair to slide down to his shoulders, where I hid under his chin and the spray of poison fell harmlessly down to the ground. Well, it ruined the grass but no demigods were hurt.

I climbed up Polybotes' face until I balanced myself under his nose, which was not a pretty sight. From there, I punched his nose repeatedly until he was stumbling around, dazed and confused. Percy took the opportunity to stab him in the heel, and the giant disappeared into golden dust. Unfortunately, I was still on his face when that happened.

I screamed as I fell, but soon a hand grabbed mine. Percy was leaning over on Blackjack and had caught my arm before I hit the ground.

"You didn't think I'd actually let you fall, did you?" He grinned before pulling me up onto Blackjack's back.

I lightly hit him on the head. "You really like stabbing immortals in the heel, don't you?" He smiled sheepishly. "Just get us to the front line." I wiped the golden ichor of my knife and got ready to keep fighting. The campers and Amazons were doing well, but more of them than I would have liked were moaning on the ground, unable to move.

We landed and Percy and I took off to help push back the monsters, while Blackjack zipped around and carried the wounded to the infirmary. I barely paid attention to the variety of monsters, just slash, block, kill. Grover helped out by whacking dracaenae with his cudgel and Juniper rallied the wood nymphs to trampel grain spirits.

Slowly, the hill was cleared of the wounded and it was easier to fight, but the monsters kept coming. Hellhound after hellhound, empousa after empousa. We were tiring, and it looked like we hadn't made a dent in Gaea's forces.

I dug my dagger into the legs of a dracaenae and it disintegrated. As I turned, teeth filled my vision and a hellhound flew at me. A black arrow shot through the air and caught the hound by the mouth, pushing it away from me while it turned to dust. I whipped my head around and Thalia sat high in a tree, her bow in hand, arrows ready to string across her back. She winked at me before continuing to fire at the monsters.

Finally, after I was sure we would be forced to retreat, Percy clapped his hands. The sound traveled over the whole valley and spread like a wave, a visible ring of dark energy floating across the ground, destroying each monster in its path. Soon, the monsters were gone and the ring started to fade, but not before two sparks flew from it and moved to a cluster of demigods. They ran, but two weren't fast enough and collided with the energy. Both collapsed to the ground, fidgeting uncontrollably.

Percy and I ran over to them, and discovered the unconscious forms of Leo and Piper. Percy cursed and proceeded to blame himself. I ignored him and helped a few Apollo campers take them to the infirmary, once they confirmed that they were alive. When they were secure and being cared for, I walked back over to Percy.

"Calm down, it was an accident. They'll understand." I placed a hand on his shoulder and tried to keep him from pacing any longer.

"I know, but I should've known better! I haven't fully figured out how to use my powers, I should have known it would backfire." He sighed and sat down on a fallen tree log.

"Percy, it will be fine. Come on, we can go wait in the infirmary for them to wake up." I led him over to their beds and we waited in the chairs that had been placed at the foot of the mattresses.

He continued to mutter curses at himself, and I sighed, waiting for the demigods to wake and tell Percy it was fine.

Percy turned to me and opened his mouth. "Are you--"

"Dude, we're fine. Get over it." A familiar voice said and we looked back to see both Leo and Piper sitting up, perfectly well.

"You didn't screw up, we're good." Piper smiled. "Besides, if you did Annabeth would be kicking your butt."