Chapter 11

"You are just such a lovely young girl. Im so glad that my little Zachary met you." Zach's mom smiled at me and reached across the table and squeezed Zach's hand. Zach's face grew red and he huffed out a little 'Mom...', but I thought it was pretty adorable.
We all sat at a 6-person table. On one side, it held an empty chair, then Zach's mom, and on the end, Alice. Across from Alice sat Zach's dad, then Zach and on the other end, across from the empty chair, sat me. I sat alone at the end quietly as Zach turned to his dad and broke off into conversation while Zach's mom and Alice did the same. I didn't mind though. It was a family dinner and I knew I was going to be the one by myself. But it hurt to know that I could so easily become invisible.
"Can I take your drink order?" I heard a male voice say. I looked up and saw a pad in front of a face with brown hair. "Im sorry?" I asked.
"I said," he began, lowering the pad partially. "Can I take your drink order?" I nodded my head. "Oh, okay. I'll take a sweet tea." I said. He nodded his head in return. "Would you like lemon with tha-" he lowered his pad all the way as his eyes grew wide and roamed over my body. "Well, Im sorry. I didn't realize that the queen of cuteness was among us this evening." He gave me a seductive smirk and I could feel my face get hot. "Well, uhm..." I started, but he continued. "Family dinner, huh? Sweet of you to actually attend. I mean, most people usually just make up stupid excuses so they don't have to. I do that a lot too-"
"They aren't my family." I interrupted. He gave me another one of his smirks and nodded his head, as if understanding. "Oh, so you're just out with a friends family. That's still sweet." His eyes traveled over to Zach and then snapped back to me, as if it never happened. "Well actually, it's my boyfr-"
"So, you said sweet tea? I'll get it right out to you." He said with a smile and then swiftly turned around and walked away.
I blinked a couple times as I had realized I had just been hit on. Well, the guy wasn't exactly unattractive. He had short cut brown hair and one dimple high on one of his cheeks, close to his eye. And gosh, his eyes were beautiful. They were a creamy color mixture of hazel, brown, and yellow. It reminded me of cinnamon buns. All of its yummy goodness and everything. I propped my chin up in the palm of my hands and placed my elbows on the table. I didn't even know this guys name. But gosh darn it, he was cute.
'Wait.' I thought. 'You have a boyfriend. You are here with your boyfriend. This is a birthday dinner for your boyfriends dad!' I mentally smack myself and sit up straight. Im with Zach and it was wrong to think about other guys that way. I growl under my breath and Zach turns toward me with a raised brow. "Hey, you okay?" He asked, smiling. I nodded my head. "Mhmm." He laughed. "Okay, just checking. I thought I heard you growl or something." And then turned right back around towards his dad. I sigh and lean back into my chair.
'Great. My boyfriend is ignoring me. My best friend is ignoring me. I'm all alone at a dinner I truthfully didn't want to go to.' I mentally roll my eyes and puff my cheeks out.

Everyone finishes eating and is waiting for the bill but I never got a chance to let the waiter know I was here with my boyfriend. The entire meal I sat in silence except the occasional turn from Zach to ask me if I was good or Alice asking me if I agreed with her about a certain type of clothing. Then the waiter shows up again, bill in hand and asks who was paying. "That would be me." Zach's dad raises a finger and reaches out and takes the bill. Once handed to him the waiter looks down at me. "I never introduced myself, did I." He says, laughing a little. I shake my head with a smile. "I don't think so." He laughs again and writes something down on his pad. "I'm Luke." He says, his perfect eyes twinkling. I smile as he rips the piece of paper and patiently waits for my response. "Elizabeth." I state with a grin. He laughs again and places the paper under my glass. "Well, Elizabeth. It's been a pleasu-"
"Hey. Dude, back off." Zach had turned around and glared at Luke. "She's already taken so save yourself some time." He says sternly, wrapping a firm hand around my shoulder, jealously. Luke puts a hand up and slowly backs away. "I'm sorry. I was unaware." Then he focuses on me. "Nice meeting you, Elizabeth." And then turns around and walks away.
I turn to Zach. "What the hell was that?" I press. He raises his eyebrows and lifts his hand in the direction Luke had just left. "Well, what the hell was THAT?" I pull away from his arms grip and cross my arms across my chest. "Zach, he was just talking to me. You didnt have to go all 'jealous boyfriend' on him!" I narrowed my eyes while he scoffed. "Jealous boyfriend? Seriously? I had a right to be a little jealous of my girlfriend being hit on by a waiter she hadn't even met before!" I huff and push out my chair to stand up. I lean close to him so only he could hear me. "You know, maybe I shouldn't have said yes. It'd make a whole lot of things better right now, wouldn't it?" Then I grab the small piece of paper from under my glass, shove it in the hidden pocket of my dress and storm to the bathroom before I had a chance to see his reaction.