25. Regulus Black

Spencer and Ellie went back into the Black House, both their hearts considerably lighter than before. And just as they had started to dance, a tall boy with black hair just like Sirius' came up to Ellie and said to Spencer without looking at him,

"May I cut in?"

"Sure!" Ellie said, and looked at Spencer, giving him a look that said, I got this. Spencer nodded a fraction of an inch and stepped away. Ellie saw him going up to a girl with white blond hair and beginning to talk to her.

"Hello." The boy said, "My name is Regulus. Regulus Black." Ellie tripped, although there was nothing in her path. Of course, Sirius' brother was here. It was his house. And he was dangerous, maybe even the one who had imperioused Sirius all those months ago.

"Hi." She said, not paying attention as he started to tell her about how he was in third year and he was studying abroad at a place called Ilvermorny. She was looking around the room for Sirius, and spotted him dancing with Eva, but he was looking directly at his brother's back, and if looks could kill, well... He muttered something to Eva then walked towards Ellie. He stepped up behind his brother, tapping Regulus rather forcefully on the shoulder and saying curtly,

"Can I cut in?"

"Yes." Ellie said, before Regulus could say anything. He scowled and skulked away, going over to the table clad with green velvet.

"You will want to stay away from my brother. It's... well... it's complicated." Ellie had a brief internal battle before deciding on the truth.

"I know."

"What?" He said, combing his hair distractedly and looking side to side before pulling Ellie to the side and whispering desperately in her ear.

"What do you know?"

"Remember that day in the owlery?"

"Yeah..." Sirius said. "What- wait- did you fly out and wrestle the owl to get my letter?"

Ellie nodded sheepishly, slightly embarrassed now that she was admitting it.

"Why in the name of Merlin's saggy left ear would you do that?"

"Because of when we were dating." Sirius heart panged at the past tense verb and he broke eye contact with her. "And that night by the fire when you asked me to come down. You didn't speak- you'd just received news of Regulus hadn't you."

"Let's take this outside." Sirius muttered, casting a wary glance around the room.

"I'll get Spencer and Eva." It was more of a statement than a question.

"I suppose so." Sirius said, "they have just as much a right to know as you do. But hurry and meet me by the big tree." Ellie nodded once and hurried to find Spencer, who was still talking to the girl with white-blond hair.

"Oh, hello Ellie!" Spencer said cheerily, oblivious to the situation, "This is Kenzie Story. We were just talking. Did you know she goes to Ilvermorny? She's back home visiting family right now!"

"Hi Kenzie." Ellie said kindly, before turning and whispering desperately to Spencer for a couple of seconds. He nodded and Ellie dashed away, hearing him say,

"I'm so sorry Kenzie, my wand was just found up a tree. Have no idea how it got there! Let me go get it. I'll be back soon." Kenzie smiled, nodded, and waved him away, laughing,

"Okay! Good luck!" Spencer dashed to get Eva, who was talking rather stiffly to Regulus, and grabbed her arm, tugging her outside.

"OI!" She said rather loudly.

"Shhh." Spencer said, clamping his hand over her mouth for a brief second before letting go.

"Oi!" She said again, this time in a whisper, "If I wasn't wearing sneakers, you'd be in major trouble!" They both ran outside. Spencer spotted the tree a little way to his left, and dashed towards it, Eva hot on his trail. She caught up to him and even went ahead of him at one point.

"Beat you." Eva said when they reached the tree, "Now why did you want me here?"

"Ellie." Spencer gasped, massaging the stitch in his side, "How are you not out of breath?"

"I work out." Eva said, then muttered, "Blimey, it wasn't that far."

"Hey!" Spencer said indignantly, pulling up his dress robes to reveal his metal leg, "You have the advantage."

"I'm sorry!" She said immediately, looking mortified as she rubbed the back of her neck, but when she looked back up into Spencer's face he was smiling.

"It's alright," he said gently.

"Was it cursed off?" She asked, but before he could answer-

"Thank god you guys are here." Ellie emerged from the tree, "Cloaking spell." She said, before Spencer could say anything.

"What's going on Ellie?" Spencer asked. But before she could answer, a hooded figure came out from the underbrush, yelling

"CRUCIO!" And Ellie started to scream.