03.

"You told me you'd meet up with me today to explain everything

"You told me you'd meet up with me today to explain everything. So, you better start talking, bud."

J.D. looks at me from across the lunch table, his eyebrow raising.

"Bud? You're naming me after what's left when you finish a cigarette?"

"No, I just said that to sound cool."

"Yeah? How's that working for you?"

"Not well apparently. "

He chuckles, "Well, for your information, bud, I said I might explain. I didn't promise you anything."

My smile fades, and I mumble "Of course."

I begin to stand and he hesitates before grabbing my arm, sighing, "I'm sorry, I was just teasing. Don't go yet."

His eyes are filled with worry, and I catch a small glimpse of vulnerability in his usual "guarded" demeanor. I slowly sit back down and his grip softens and releases.

His sarcastic and analytical tendencies annoy the hell out of me. However, they are also extremely intriguing, and unlike any of my other friends personalities it has individuality. It's refreshing honestly.

I lean in closer to him, looking into his eyes, "Okay, fine. Explain then."

"You sure you really wanna know?"

I nod.

"Alright, It happened last year. Clementine, Maddie, Elliot and Marcus...We were the greatest of friends, and they honestly were the only people I tolerated - and who tolerated me.

Everything was going great, until spring break rolled around. The first Saturday of the break, we all went to get dinner at a local pizzeria at around nine or ten that night. Once we were done though, it was eleven. This made Clem start to do what Clem does best. Worry. She started to panic and cry, saying how her parents would ground her if she wasn't home soon.

So, we decided to leave and take a shortcut around a back alleyway, where we encountered a lone man. He didn't seem to be homeless, but he didn't seem to be an average man either. He clearly was drunk, as when he got into close proximity with us, I was able to smell the alcohol, not to mention his walking was impaired.

He kept eyeballing me, until suddenly he pulled a gun on us, threatening to shoot if we didn't comply. I looked at everyone's faces, their lips quivering and bodies shaking and I-"