CHAPTER 10

While she worked on erecting another shield; one that wouldn't be so easily broken through he asked, "Could you tell me a little bit about the history of magic. What did your grandmother mean by the rebirth of magic?"

She stopped and looked over at him and remembered that he had had no education whatsoever. "There was a long period in history where magic didn't seem to exist. Some people refer to the period as the magna tenebris. When magic came back into the world some people refer to it as the rebirth of magic like my grandmother did."

"Okay fair enough. What caused both of them?"

"Have you ever heard of Merlin?" She said as she finished forming the shield and started pumping energy into it to reinforce it.

He on the other hand was obviously having a hard time of making the floor of their structure. "No I haven't. I've been thinking maybe we should just go back to the castle and sleep there tonight."

The idea was certainly becoming more tempting. The magical fog clung to every part of her like sticky marshmallows. She couldn't wait to get back underneath the cover of the artifact. "If I do that my grandfather will force me to take all the other magical items when we come back. If he lets me at all."

"Well maybe that's a good thing. Like I already said this place is far more dangerous than we thought and some more objects like this dragon claw statue would be nice."

Well she couldn't argue against that without the statue they would've probably been dead already. She sighed. "I don't know how bad the tension is between my grandfather and the other nations but if my grandmother let us come here like this she must've truly thought my argument was valid. In other words if we take their support now there is a high chance there will be war. Maybe after my official banishment we can take some things but not right now. You're also forgetting if we go back grandfather will immediately commence your combat training."

Verin stiffened at the mention of combat training.

XRenia smiled and pushed a memory of her grandfather punching through a weakly formed shield and hitting her shoulder so hard it dislocated. She had learned quite fast after that to form small shields quickly and properly.

He glared at her. "Okay, were not going back tonight."

She laughed. "Not only that, it is actually the middle of the night there."

"What?"

"Yeah, we gained six hours by flying here."

"Oh time change I forgot all about that. No wonder I feel like it's later than it is." He stared up at the sun for a bit then went back to working on trying to create a floor. After a few seconds he said, "You asked me about some history guy?

"Merlin. He was a great mage of his time but during his time there was very few mages because the natural barrier in animals and humans that seals away their magic had somehow just stop breaking. As you know the barrier is just there to protect us as children so we don't hurt anyone or ourselves unknowingly. It supposed to break during puberty but sometimes it just don't."

"Yeah like mine didn't."

"In Merlin's time that was happening to almost everyone and had been happening for hundreds of years. So much so mages didn't even know how to help others open their magic."

"Did it!" Verin shouted in triumph.

XRenia looked over in time to see the ground underneath his feet ripple then solidify into a perfectly flat, smooth marble like floor. "Wow good job."