Chapter Eighteen ⌔ Too Much

This dedication goes to my girl, Zain, for being an awesome and beautiful person and for making that gorgeous banner on the side for me. I love you, girl ♥ ------>

-

Chapter Eighteen Too Much

"Do you get irritated by all these wires?"

The gentle, deep voice caused shivers to run pleasantly down my spine, effectively making me shiver a little. My eyelids fluttered open and I found myself looking into a pair of my favorite blue eyes.

Blue eyes that were warm, gentle and loving. It was hard not to fall into their depths and forget the world and its harsh realities.

I blinked and then managed a small smile, lifting my shoulder up in a slight shrug -well the best a shrug I could do while lying on my side. I dropped my eyes to his lips and then to the drip attached to his left arm. I pursed my lips and shook my head, letting my free hand that wasn't entangled with David's to gently touch the skin around the needle.

He was slightly pale; his skin was a little drier and his movements a bit more clumsy. It was strange how I noticed only the little changes in David, but I supposed it was because I was used to the little positive things about him. Unknowingly, it was the little things and small habits that I had somehow gotten attached to. It was the way David looked at me, either in a laughing or angry manner. He always had a look in his eyes when he addressed me -always telling me with his eyes that he loved me.

I let out a soft sigh and met David's eyes again. My eyes roamed his tired faced, the bags under his eyes, his sunken cheeks... his weary expression. After bringing me to the hospital with him, David had practically manipulated me into staying a few nights with him. Lisa had been easily dismissed from staying with him -she didn't seem to mind at all. Rather, she encouraged me to stay with him, despite my father's protests about having young people alone in a room together.

I could hardly blame Peter for worrying about us; hardly two nights and I had already taken to cuddling with him in bed when he wasn't attached to too many drips.

"I'm going in for chemo tomorrow," David murmured, squeezing my hand gently. I looked into his blue eyes and somehow managed to put up a brave front. I smiled, trying to show him that he could make it through this. David didn't smile back, simply staring at me with a gentle look in his eyes.

"I don't want you to see me after I go through it," he whispered, releasing my hand to push back a strand of hair away from my face. I felt a frown immediately take over my features and I brought my hands up only to have David talk over me, purposely shifting his eyes away from my hands. "Go to school and stuff, see how people are doing. Be normal with them."

I pursed my lips and stared at him meaningfully; didn't he know I was already recovering? Slowly, yes. But surely and most definitely.

*

"Mom? Mommy? Oh, God. Mom, please?" Karen's broken sobs cut through the thick daze that I had fallen into; alerting me to the fact that something might be wrong with my mom.

"K-Karen? What's wrong with mom?" I croaked out, the screaming having strained my throat. I clumsily tried to unbuckle my seatbelt to see my mother. "Mom?"

"Oh, God! Sierra, don't do anything! Stay where you are. I'm going to -" Her sentence was cut off as something smashed into the car, hitting roughly against the door on my left. The car spun wildly, shrill screams ripping their way out of our throats.