07 Sick

She turned away from the microphone and covered her mouth with a handkerchief as she coughed before she answered.

"The OVP visited the rural areas of Cebu na nasalanta ng bagyo and we've already given them aid. If the supply was not enough then siguro we need to give more in a sense na-"

"But vice president-" Secretary Aguirre interrupted, "-diba trabaho yan ng DSWD? And also kung naibigay niyo na po how come nagkukulang pa rin sila?"

She pursed her lips and blinked a few times. Digong could sense that the question had disturbed her in a way.

What worried him though was not that she wouldn't be able to answer the inquisition, but that she'd stress herself out. She did not seem to be in the best of health.

"So does that mean OVP must stand still and let DSWD do everything when we can lend a hand naman? Siguro, if we're going for public service then we shouldn't monopolize help in a sense na it shouldn't matter whether the OVP sends or -" she cut off her sentence and coughed once again. "- not. Excuse me."

He greatly worried for her as he watched her eyes become watery and her nose slightly red.

"Also-" she continued speaking, "-don't you think we now have a better understanding of how much damage has been done and how much people have been victimized by the typhoon because even with our help, the people are still in need?"

"Secretary Taguiwalo?" Aguirre called the older woman's attention.

"I don't think it matters whether or not the Vice President helps. She's right. It's all about public service." Taguiwalo spoke in Leni's defense.

Aguirre was about to speak again when Digong interrupted him through the micrphone.

"I think the matter has been settled. There is no more need to discuss the issue since the social welfare secretary has spoken."

As the meeting went further, Digong could not fail to see how fatigued Leni had become. She bowed her head down while her hand remained on her forehead.

Gaging talaga tong babaeng to. Nagattend pa rin kahit na may sakit.

He gestured to Bong to come towards him.

"Ano po yun, Mayor."

"Bigyan niyo ng tsaa si Ma'am Leni...at tsaka tubig at gamot." He whispered to Bong Go.

"Opo, Mayor."

Digong tried to fast track the meeting, hoping to end it before eight o'clock. That night's cabinet meeting had no room for argumentations as Digong went for most obvious solutions. And just in time, the meeting ended right before the hour he wanted.

"Meeting adjourned." He announced and at once the officials began to leave.

He turned to Leni whose head was now in both hands. He did hope the medicine helped somehow.

"Bong..." he called once again.

"Nasa labas na po yung convoy niya." Bong, knowing what the president would surely ask for, replied even before the president could utter another word.

He glanced back to where Leni was. She was she was now neatly piling up her papers.

He got up and walked towards her, the crowd was getting thinner by the minute so he didn't mind approaching her.

With a black coat, that Bong had given him, in hand, he stood behind her and carefully placed it on her shoulders.

Leni looked behind her to find him standing a foot from her. She looked a lot worse than she did from afar.