Making Headway

Hermione sat on a bench in the corridors of the north wing. She sobbed slightly and thought about her idiocy. He had been showing feeling with her and then just running to her? Had he been lying to her the whole time? He would sate a part of himself with her and run back to Pansy to finish everything off with her.

How could I be so stupid? She thought.

“Hermione? Are you alright?” She looked up to see Luna looking down at her contemplatively.

“Oh, hello Luna, I’m fine.” She sniffed.

“I beg your pardon but you don’t look quite fine to me.” She walked over to the bench and took a seat next to Hermione.

“It’s nothing, Luna.” She sighed.

“It wouldn’t perhaps have something to do with Draco Malfoy would it?”

Hermione’s head snapped to the side as she looked up at Luna with bewilderment. “Wha-Why would you suggest that?”

“I’ve seen you talking to him around the castle, and the way you look at him, not to mention the way you reacted just now.”

Luna looked at Hermione with her sweet face smiling gently, as if she understands something so much deeper than can be explained. Hermione suddenly felt no restrictions in speaking to her.

“Yes it is.” She went on to detail her encounters with Draco and Luna sat there thoughtfully listening to her. “And so I shoved past them and here I am.”

“It seems to me that you’ve invested a lot more emotion into him than you ever thought you would.”

Hermione thought about denying it but at this point she couldn’t help but reveal that it was the truth. “I know I shouldn’t and that he’s a bad guy but there’s just something there. I thought he felt it too but apparently not.”

“I don’t think Draco is a bad guy, just a little misunderstood.”

“How do you mean?”

“I used to see him around school a few years ago looking nervous. I saw him sitting in a corner of the halls one night with his hands over his face, he was crying.”

“Why?”

“Can you not imagine?”

Hermione thought about it, he had been under a lot of pressure in the past years; his father pressuring him into becoming a part of a world that he had no interest in. Not to mention that Voldemort took a particular interest in him. It was hard enough for her dealing with the things that she did, but she never thought about how hard it was for him to be amongst it all.

“I went back to my room and found my leather woven bracelet, my father bought it for me for luck, and I put it next to him. He flinched away and we looked at one another for a few seconds. I told him that it was for luck and that it would keep him safe. He got up and left, but when I looked down the bracelet was gone. There’s a lot more to him than you would think. He doesn’t mean to hurt you; he just doesn’t know how to make you feel good because no one ever showed him that courtesy.” Luna smiled sincerely and Hermione wondered how she could be only the mere age that she was.