Chapter 26

The sun shone through the Infirmary window, practically stabbing Grim in the eyes. His head throbbed with pain and he rolled over. Standing beside him was Sam, smiling.

“Sam,” he whispered, his voice still failing him. “You’re all right.”

“You saved us,” his little brother said and put his arms around him. Despite the pain in his head, Grim pulled him close. Toby leapt up on the bed.

“What happened?” he asked.

“You saved us,” said Treena’s voice. She appeared behind Sam. Rudy and Quinn were right beside her, with Ellen and the twins bringing up the rear.

“You did it,” boomed Rudy.

Grim grabbed his head and groaned.

“Not without all of you,” he muttered, “especially Rudy and Quinn. They figured it out.”

The twins jumped on the bed. “You rock!” yelled Benny and Barny, flicking switches on their little watches. They cast images of themselves jumping on the other beds. Ellen smiled. In her hand she clutched the head of her doll. And Rudy leaned over and kissed Grim on the forehead.

“Thank you,” she whispered.

“A bit of a risky venture,” said the voice of Aunt Patrice. Grim craned his neck to see his Aunt standing behind Treena. She was in the form Grim knew from before they came to this world. White hair, and all.

“What happened to everyone? Are they all right?” he asked.

His Aunt nodded. “Thanks to all of you,” she said. “Galan had us fooled. I never thought the one person I trusted most in this world would betray me. But he sold his soul to darkness.”

Grim pulled himself up in the bed.

Aunt Patrice smiled. “I’m glad to know that there are some shrewd minds here. I will have few regrets when I depart.”

“What?” Grim said. “Where are you going? Are you going to re-open the Tower?”

She shook her head. “Not yet. I need some time to think. I jeopardized the lives of innocent children trying to hide here. It was a grave mistake. I will take my business elsewhere for now.”

“But everyone will know we’re back.”

“They already do,” she said. “Galan and Adelaide escaped on an airship.”

Grim remembered seeing it. “Was that Festrel’s ship?”

She nodded. “And Lord Victor and his son are quite aware of who you are. There is no point in pretending any longer.”

“So are we staying here at the orphanage? Or can we rejoin Dad and Pop?” Grim asked.

“I am afraid it isn’t that simple,” said his Aunt. “It is not safe with them yet. I am sending you south, to the City of Sanctum.”

Grim moaned.

“It is for the best, for there is nowhere else for you to go. Your parents are going to be battling openly with your uncle and his minions. And you are still too young to help.”

Grim shook his head to correct his Aunt. “But I’m a Mystic now. We all are. We can help.”

“There is far more to being a Mystic than simply calling upon a Jinn. You need training. Until the Tower is re-opened, you will remain in Sanctum.”  She nodded towards the bedside. “And I believe you have a book to study.”

Grim closed his eyes. He felt exhausted. “How long have I been out?”

Rudy put her hand on his shoulder. “Three days.”

“What?”

“Adelaide’s claws were dipped in Marmorite Blue with fish liver,” said Aunt Patrice. “It’s poisonous, but you’re cured now. You just need rest.”

“What about Veerasin?” he asked.

“Fortunately she is stronger than her frail appearance. Barny brought her out of the catacombs and she is back in the kitchens having fully recovered. It appears that the blood of a Changeling has immunity to some conditions, even though it might create some others.” She winked at Quinn, who blushed.

“What about Valeria? Is Eevenellin all right?”

“Eevenellin has chosen to leave the orphanage. She feels responsible for not saving her friend. Unfortunately Valeria’s stone form was destroyed by Galan. There will be a funeral for her once you have recovered.”

“Oh,” Grim said. “And what about Dorian?”

“It seems he has found himself in a good position among friends,” said his Aunt. “I hear that a certain young man made a very thoughtful gesture. He was received warmly by the Resistance.”

“And our parents?” he asked.

“Happy that you are all alive, though their lives have changed now. Your uncle will pursue them harder, determined to remove any threat to his power.”

Her Aunt looked to everyone around the bed. “I think that’s enough questions for now. Everyone out and leave Grim to his rest.”

Each of them gave Grim a hug or squeezed his hand, leaving Aunt Patrice alone with him. Rudy was the last to depart.

“Festrel was trying to get to Earth with the stones,” he said, once everyone had left.

His Aunt looked troubled. “So Rudolpha told me. It would seem that both Galan and Festrel are too ambitious to work together. That may prove well for us in the end, for they may destroy themselves while trying to destroy us.”

“I don’t want you to leave,” Grim muttered. Despite his annoyance at his Aunt, it was comforting that she was there with them. She was home.

Grim heard a twittering sound beside him. It was Scarlet. He held out a hand to her.

“Scarlet.”

She inched towards him, seemingly unsure if he was still upset.

“I’m sorry,” he said. “I know why you did it. You saved my life.”

She settled onto the pillow next to him and purred.

“I am so very proud of you, Grimwald. And I think you will do well on your own. You have proven to be more than the young gentleman I expected you to be. You have friends and you have your siblings. You’ll do well.”

“How will I learn to summon?”

His Aunt stroked his hair. “The book will teach you the basics, but you must keep it a secret.”

Grim nodded. “I understand.”

“Now,” she said. “It’s time you got some rest. And when you wake, you should be able to get back to living among these walls until it’s time to leave. If I’m not mistaken, it’s your turn to scrub the pots. I believe Orlanda Kennelworth is looking forward to your return.”

His Aunt’s eyes shone with mirth and Grim laughed.

Grim laid back down and let the sun warm his face. He fell into a deep sleep.

He did not dream of Changelings or black-cloaked Jinns. Nor did he dream of cleaning sewers, scouring pots covered in boiled octopus, or cold nights in a decrepit orphanage. No, instead Grimwald Doyle dreamt of seeing his dads sometime soon, of his brothers and sisters safe and sound, of a grand shining manor, and a leather-bound book filled with unknown secrets.

THE END

If you enjoyed Scourge, check out my site (http://davidhburton.com) for my other works as well as a short story that takes place in the Grim Doyle world titled Simian's Lair.