Chapter 17/Part 1 - Call to Arms

"See, I told you he wouldn't notice us," Zaech said, lowering his broom. His arms were exhausted from holding it up for the hour and a half they had spent waiting for the little runt to return to his office. "And I knew he would know where Anastasia had slipped away to. Like the Princess in the rough I always knew she was, she's being quaint with the common people."

It was a perfect pictograph opportunity, to be sweeping with Anastasia, surrounded by countless, authentic peasants.

"Do you have the lensbox, Skarra?" he asked, stopping by a mirror to have a quick preen.

"Yes, Prince," his companion replied, and seemed somewhat cheery himself.

They turned out onto a cap-top balcony and leapt down into Hereth, flittering and gliding between the giant stalks of the city. Zaech had never delved so deep before. Eventually the stalks and shelves grew too close together for the pair to fly between, so they were forced to land and hop from one shroom to the next.

On the way down, Skarra stopped and called him back to a window in a shelf. At first, there seemed nothing remarkable about it, until there was a shift in the patterned interior. Something was inside, and it was no typical Tyvern inhabitant.

 Something was inside, and it was no typical Tyvern inhabitant

"A ghoul or gargoyle?" said Zaech, keeping a wary eye on the window.

The creature moved out of sight. Then a door, barely a string's length away from them, started to shake. Zaech leapt to safety on a nearby shelf, while Skarra lingered, clearly paralysed with fear.

"Skarra, get out of there!" Zaech squawked, hoping it might knock some sense into him, but he did not budge until the creature burst through the door.

It was even more frightening than he imagined. Golden curls erupted from its poofy, patchwork body, then he saw its disgusting, warty, bile-green face.

"A goblin! They've found a way into the city!"

An invasion had begun, and the Tyvern soldiers were beyond reach. They had no time to spare. Anastasia had to be warned.

"Goldilocks," Skarra grunted at the creature with what looked suspiciously like a smile on his face. "What are you doing out here?"

Zaech hopped over to him, but kept Skarra's bulky body in front of him. To his shock the big lump of feathers was smiling. It was an awkwardly bashful smile that made his face look much worse than usual.

"Not stealin' potatoes, if that be what yer thinkin'," the thing replied and launched a fist into Skarra's shoulder.

Despite the violent attack, Skarra made no attempt to retaliate.

"Do you know this hideous creature, Skarra?" Zaech asked quietly with a wary eye on the she-goblin.

Skarra turned and gawked with confusion. "She is Goldilocks, Anastasia's handmaiden from Drakanyuur. And she's not hideous at all," he said as if he had been looking at someone else entirely.