Chapter Two: The Sickness

The man, Robert Thompson, had been there when Temperance had awaken later that evening. He had cooked a meager supper of beans and potatoes for the ladies and while Temperance and her mother had been unable to bring themselves to eat, Jessica and Charlotte had filled their bellies. 

Later that night, Robert had pulled Temperance and her mother Herriot aside, “Ma’am’s, I need to know where you want the caskets? A funeral and burial in town or…” 

“There isn’t money for that,” Herriot stated bluntly, causing Temperance to frown. It was her mother’s voice but the words sounded distant and cold. And those green eyes lacked any of the warmth her mother had once possessed. 

Robert tipped his head and coughed lightly into his arm. Temperance noticed he seemed more pale than he had earlier. She felt sorry for him. To have fought so hard for so long and now be playing nursemaid to a bunch of women simply because he had made a promise to a dying man to do so. She was sure all the man wanted was a nice long rest. 

Temperance swallowed hard and fought back yet another wave of pain at the knowledge of what had become of half her family. When she once again met Robert’s eyes he was gazing at her gently. She forced a smile, “We’ll bury them here at home.” 

Robert nodded, “I’ll go collect them in the morning for you. I’m real sorry about all of this…” Robert’s voice tailed off as Herriot, wandered away, going through the door beside the kitchen and disappearing inside the bedroom she had once shared with Temperance’s father. The door closed with a resounding click. 

“I had better get the girls cleaned up and ready for bed,” Temperance announced. “They’ll have a million questions I’m sure.” 

Robert nodded and tipped his head toward the door, “I’ll go outside and get to work. Do you happen to know where the shovel would be?” 

Temperance shivered, “The barn. There is a stall full of tools and it will be in there.” 

“Thank you, Miss.” Robert ran his hand through his thick black hair and then disappeared out the door. 

Temperance was simply going through the motions as she helped her sisters clean up and dress for bed. They were unusually quiet and Temperance knew they were upset and confused over the tension and sadness in the house. 

As Temperance tucked them both into the bed the three of them shared in the loft Jessica finally spoke, “Tempy, did something happen to papa, Gregory and Thomas?” 

Temperance swallowed hard and felt her eyes burn. She couldn’t lie to them. They would see caskets for themselves tomorrow. “Yes,” she whispered. “They won’t be coming home to us alive.” 

Jessica immediately began to cry. “What does that mean, Tempy?” Charlotte whispered, her innocent three year old heart not fully understanding. 

“They have gone to heaven, Char,” Temperance’s voice broke, “They died.”