Chapter 10.1

Poe called out weakly from his perch on the stable's roof as we made our way out the door. We didn't make it far before I spotted Liam in the courtyard talking with Collen. They glared at John as we passed by and broke off their conversation. Liam followed us into the stable.

"Ezra!"

I turned and John paused beside me.

"Dad told me you'd returned. I didn't believe him when he said you were friends with a witch." Liam's hostility caught me off-guard, though I shouldn't have been surprised. He'd hated witches ever since he learned what they'd done to the Families.

"John saved my life, multiple times, and I've no doubt that he'd do it again. I don't care what side he's from."

Liam pointed violently at John. "But you brought him here! He could be a spy! "I​ ​wouldn't​ ​put​ ​it​ ​past​ ​a​ ​witch​ ​to​ ​double​ ​cross​ ​us."​ ​Liam​ ​spat​ ​on​ ​the​ ​ground.

"I don't even know where 'here' is," John mumbled as he shifted behind me.

"Liam-"

"Dad should have killed him on sight." Liam turned on his heel and stomped away.

I shook my head and put it aside for now. We had bigger fish to fry. "Are you sure you recognized Nathan's voice? To be honest, I wouldn't put it past him to be working with the Witches, but I want to be one hundred percent sure."

John looked at me with steady eyes. "I'm sure."

"Right," I glanced around the stables. A few of the horses were looking out of their stalls, watching us with curious eyes. What were we to do now? All I could think of was to talk to Dad, and Poe. We had Witches with a killer plant determined to wipe us out at one dysfunctional dinner. And apparently, that would be with the help of someone who is supposed to be an ally. The whole situation was making my head hurt. What the hell was I going to deal with first?

I paced, then turned to John. "Wait here. I'm going to get my father."

"Uh, I'd rather not be alone on a ranch full of necromancers who want to kill me. Thanks."

I tried not to laugh at my own stupidity. Of course it was a bad idea to leave him alone. I looked around, and saw the tack room. I scavenged a scrap of paper and a pen, and scribbled a note before whistling for Poe. He flew in and landed on my shoulder.

Folding the paper, I handed it to him. "Give this to Dad and meet us in the Grove. We need to figure out our next move."

John and I made it out to the Grove without running into anyone else. I sank down into the soft grass of the clearing, stretching out as sleep threatened to roll over me. John stopped at the tree line, his eyes widening as he reached a hand out in front of him. He looked up from his hand and took in the scene of the Grove.

"What is this place?" he asked, fixating on the altar.

I debated for a moment, trying to think of how much I should tell him. I thought of Avery. It was her family's relic. What would she say?

"Each family has an object or a place that's sacred. It's something that connects us with our power, our ancestors. All the Necromancers that came before us. This is the Manser's Grove."

John lowered his hand still in awe. "I can feel the power here." He closed his eyes, taking a deep breath. "It's ancient, pure." He frowned, and looked up at me. "I've felt this before, around our own sacred items."

"What items?" I sat up, willing my body to cooperate.

He shrugged. "The Priest and Priestess of Earth both have staves that give off a power like what I feel here.