chapter 60 | the llamas

Shayne woke up by the vibration of his phone on the table beside him.

Incoming call from Keith 🤠

He declined the call, and put his phone on 'Do Not Disturb' as he tried to go back to sleep.

" Shayne? " A man's voice came from the doorway. " Hm? " He couldn't see the man since his back was facing the door. " It's breakfast time. We're serving her favorite this morning. "

He turned his head to the man and gave him a thumbs up. " We'll be out in a few, save us a spot. "

" The usual? " He asked, Shayne rubbed his eyes and faced the man. " Always. " The man gave him a nod and shut the door behind him.

Shayne got up from bed and he looked out the window. It was a sunny sunday morning.

" Hey princess, wake up. " He whispered softly into the girl's ear. She was too peaceful to be woken up, he always felt bad being the one to wake her up.

" It's your favorite breakfest this morning. " She fluttered her eyes open almost immediately and smiled. " I knew that would wake you up. " He laughed, getting her some clothes from the closet.

" How about we go eat and walk outside? I hear there's gonna be a petting zoo in the backyard, today. " She practically jumped into his arms as he walked back towards her. He caught her and twirled her around.

" Will there be a llama? " Emily asked Shayne as he set her down softly, handing her her clothes. " I'm not sure, they didn't tell me which animals were going to be there. "

Emily went into the bathroom to brush her teeth and get dressed as Shayne made the bed that they both slept on. He tidied up his small suitcase and placed it by the door.

" Are you leaving today? " She walked out of the bathroom, giving him her pyjamas to fold. " I have work tomorrow morning. " He crouched down to her size.

For an 9-year-old, she was still pretty small.

He put out his arms so he could carry back into the bathroom to fix her hair, or at least attempt to do so.

He sat her down on the counter in front of the mirror and took out a brush from the drawer. He had been watching a lot of videos on YouTube and he finally managed to do a french braid in her hair.

" I don't want you to go. " She whimpered as he finished her hair. She gave her a small hug, carrying her back out towards the main hall of the center.

" I can't stay forever, Em. " He told her quietly as they made their way to the cafeteria.

Ever since the call, Shayne had been staying all week with Emily. He would go to work, do the 40 minutes drive and stay with her all night and went back home when she was asleep. But since thursday night, he decided to stay the night with her since they had off for the easter weekend.

He put her down and she went to the seat that the man reserved for them. He went in line to get the breakfast and talked to those who were in line with him.

" It's really nice of you to have been taking care of her while Betty is away. Without Alexis or Betty, she's a lost puppy. " A nurse told him.

" I mean, I understand where she's coming from. She never had real life social interaction beside here. But even then, " He stopped to take the two orders of nutella crepes with bananas and put on the tray.

" Even then, she's still shy to open up to people. " Another nurse added. Let's call them Kate and Lea. " Surprised that she trusted you that quickly. " He smiled at the remark because it was true.

He had only met Emily a few times before the call, and that was only cause of Alexis. When he came by on monday night, he didn't expect Emily to be so welcoming even though he was the guy that made his bis sister cry.

" Well, have a good breakfast, girls. See you outside ? " They nodded their heads and he went back to sit with Emily at the table.

" Is Alex coming by? " The question she asked almost every morning. It broke his heart everytime he answered because he didn't want to break her heart. He didn't want her to think that she gave up on her but he truly didn't know why she never came by anymore.

" It's okay. I understand if she doesn't care anymore. " She said so casually as if she already knew it was happening. " Hey, that's not true. She's just really busy with her end of school and trying to find a job. I'm sure she'll come by another day. "

She took a bite of her crepe, not really reacting to what he said. They were sat by a window that lead to the backyard. Within the meal, they could the see the trucks of animals getting dropped off for the small zoo.

Emily squealed in excited as she saw a llama and so she ate her food quickly, Shayne laughing at the little ball of joy that was in front of him.

" Come on, Shaynie! " She chugged her milk quickly and put her plate in the are it was supposed to go. " I'm not even done eating, Em! "

She smiled and shrugged, jumping up and down. He shoved the whole crepe in his mouth and put his plate away. Emily grabbed him by the hand pulled him towards the backyard, still laughing at her.

She dragged him towards the llama fence and she asked Shayne if she could feed them. He went to grab a cone of the food and gave it to her.

He stood back watching her, as she giggled and fed the llamas. He a had a huge grin on his face.

" Are you Emily's brother? " A younger woman came to talk to him. " Oh, no, no. She's my friend's, Alexis' sister. " He told her.

" Oh my apologies. You just look a lot like her and you look proud of her. " The lady smiled at him and backed away.

In a way, he didn't see the ressemblance. But in a way, he enjoyed the fact he was seen to be proud of Emily. Which he was, because after all of her past, she still puts a smile on his face.

And that's where Shayne was after the annoucement.

Actually, he didn't even hear it. Well he did but he was on the phone with Betty. Emily had a panick attack and she wanted Shayne. So in the middle of Alexis' speech, he left. He heard it from a distance but in that moment, he only cared for Em's safety.