Prologue

I stand in my apartment, shaking. My boyfriend, well, more like torturer, is storming around screaming, and I am terrified. Beau, that is his name, he isn't scared to hurt me. He'd done it before. He does it almost every day, and I haven't left this apartment in 100 days. I keep track. Believe me, if you were stuck in here with him, you'd keep track too.

"God is it so hard to have a meal on the table when I come home from work?" he rages, flipping tables. "I work so hard to provide for you, at least show some respect."

I say nothing. I haven't spoken in 100 days, actually. That was the day when he locked me up, hit me, and told me not to talk unless spoken to. I haven't spoken unless he asked me a question.

"Well, Andy?" he demands. "Anything to say?"

"I'm sorry," I whisper.

"What was that" Beau says, coming closer.

I involuntarily tense. "I'm sorry," I repeat, louder.

"Yeah right," Beau considers me for a second.

Then, he slaps me across the face. He is so strong that I hit the ground hard.

"Get up," he spits. "We have to go get some food."

I don't hesitate. This is the first breath of fresh air I've had in three months. I wasn't going to complain. I scurry out the door and into Beau's car. He locks my door and starts the car.

Once we get to the store, a small supermarket, he unlocks my door and hands me some money.

"Go get some food," he snaps. "And be quick about it."

I nod and run off. Once I enter the store, I breathe a sigh of relief. Beau couldn't hurt me in here. I quickly grab some food that I know he would like, and headd towards the check out. As I round a corner, I run smack into someone.

I fall to the ground, my food scattering across the ground.

"I'm sorry, are you okay?" a voice asks.

I look up to see a boy hovering over me, looking concerned. He has dark hair and extremely turquoise eyes. He helps me up and starts gathering my things.

I don't say a word, just nod in gratitude when he hands me my things.

"Are you sure you're okay?" he asks, checking me over.

I nod.

The boy frowns, noticing the red mark on my cheek. "Did you get that from falling right now?"

I nod, deciding to lie. It is safer.

"It sure looks like a handprint," he mumbles, but lets it go. "I am sorry for running into you."

I nod again, indicating that I meant that it is okay. The boy smiles one more time and leaves, waving as he goes. I pay for my things and enter Beau's car. He look sideways at me.

"Who was that guy?' he asks.

"I don't know," I answer. "He ran into me."

"Did you talk to him?" Beau ask, eyes narrowing.

"No," I answer.

"Good," Beau nods. "Cause you're all mine."

Beau smiles and kisses me on the cheek, but all it does is repulse me. None of the butterflies I'd first felt when I met him are there. As Beau drives away, all I can think about is the boy's sincere, astonishingly hypnotizing turquoise eyes.